Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mary Roberts Rinehart

edwin astill

In researching the diaries of Alexander Johnston I came across a reference to Mary Roberts Rinehart, who rather surprised Johnson by showing up at the front gathering material for newspapers and a book (Kings, Queens & Pawns - I've just got a copy and its a good read) . Rinehart was an American, and keen to counter German propaganda in the USA (this is 1915).

She refers to a meeting with Major General H --- at his HQ on "the only high ground, with the exception of the near - by hill with its ruined tower, in the neighbourhood of Ypres".

So, who would be most likely to be Major General H - ? and where was his HQ?

Thanks for any help/further clues

Edwin

• 1 month later...

Edwin

The lady herself might tell you !

"My Story" (ISBN 0781286255) is her autobiography which includes her time as a WW1 war correspondent.

There is a fair chance this book will be in any good public library,otherwise I just saw it on Amazon for US$109 !!

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Edwin

Maybe I was wrong there,my local large city library doesn't have it,though they did mention they could search for it if required. I also enquired at Waterstone's. They have it catalogued, but not in stock,for a mere 66 quid give or take a coin or two. A lot of money for a WW1 fact to be aired. I have been scanning my brain for a decent tactical hill near Ypres,the most significant for me being a few kms to the west at Poperinghe,with views all the way to the coast at Dunkerque.

Sotonmate