Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Corporal George Adams.

Guest SJAB

Wonder if any one could help me put places, times and events into my grandfather's service life.

Now his name was George Adams (boy, was that a common one as I have lately found out)

I have managed to get a copy of his Medal Index card. He was in the Kings Shropshire Light Infantry

Started as a private and finished as an Acting Corporal.

His number was 12858

He was awarded the Victory, British and the 1915 Star.

Went to France 6.9.15

Discharge Class Z 13.5.19

Now I don't at present have his medals, I can get them.

There is a wound stripe with the medals with No 4 119896 on. Not a clue what that means it could be the die/cast number for all I know.

He was 65 when he died in 1954. But I have no idea of his place of birth or the date. His life before he met my grandmother seems to have been a closed book.

What I want to do it to put flesh on and find out if the family tales of him are true. He died before I was born over 50 years ago. There is actually no one left a live that knew him. My mother only knew him for a few short months before he died (George was my grandfather on my father's side)

My father actually knew little of his service as my Grandfather refused to talk of it. What I know is third hand. Tales passed down.

Now the tales.

He was supposed to be at Passchendaele. He was captured and escaped back to British lines. Mentioned in dispatches for carrying a wounded companion back to safety under fire. He was later "gassed" which, actually, according to the family played a part in his death in 1954 due to the damage it caused to his lungs. (this wasn't helped by being a Vol Fireman during WWII)

Now I don't mind if none of the above is true, but I would like to know where he was during the conflict, if that is possible.

Any advice on where to look next or any info at all would be most welcome.

Thanks

Susan

Hello

No MID mentioned in the medal index cards - but this isnt 100% accurate

There is a wound stripe with the medals with No 4 119896 on. Not a clue what that means it could be the die/cast number for all I know.

Susan

Susan, The No:4 etc on the "Wound Stripe" is its type & Patent number. As you have his age you should hopefully be able to find him on the 1901 Census,he will be around 11~14 years old if he was 60 odd in the 1950s,His service papers may survive @ the NA & the Medal Rolls that the MiC refers to will show his Battalion.