Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John George THOMAS

Guest caohmanach

Guest caohmanach

My Grandfather, John George THOMAS (known as “George”), was once treated at a Military Hospital in Rock Ferry, Birkenhead, Merseyside. Apparently, it was an old school in IONIC STREET.

Does anybody know of any records? I am basically trying to find out about his war service and firstly, need to find his regiment etc. This is proving a very difficult first step for me.

I know he served in the army but the following are the only facts I have:

Born 26th May 1889 Tranmere, Birkenhead

Married 27th October 1912, St. Mary, Birkenhead (to Alice Sophia KIRKBY)

Died 24th November 1943 Birkenhead

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Hello caoh

You are going to have a tough time placing a trace on your grandfather unless you can come up with some more information.

There are MICs for four John Georges at the NA

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...mp;mediaarray=*

but that does not preclude him from having enlisted as a 'George' for the obvious reasons.

Regards

Mel

Guest caohmanach

Thanks Mel. The common name doesn't help at all.

I have been struggling with this for a few years. I was hoping somebody could find something using the birth-date to identify him?

Every avenue I have tried to find details of his service, it seems I need the regiment details and as there are no surviving family members to ask, I get nowhere fast.

Family stories did say he was gassed and had to go to the military hospital. Would the fact that he was gassed, narrow the search? Certain regiments etc?

caoh

A couple of more positive thoughts:

Are there any births in the family for 1914-1919 - the certificates could yield useful information.

You could also check the local newspaper for 1943 for an obit or death notice that could yield information.

regards

Mel

Guest caohmanach

Mel,

What specific information would be of use to the search for his regiment?

I do have some addresses and I know names of his parents, siblings etc?

caoh

As you know with a common name like this, the task is impossible unless you already have a regiment or service number so that you can identify the relevant Medal Index Card.

Unless you can turn up material using the avenues suggested in my previous post then the only alternative is to trawl the National Archives for each and every John/George Thomas until you can come up with a Birkenhead connection and preferably the Attestation papers that name your grandmother as the N.O.K.

That would be a daunting task and perhaps a completely demoralising one given that there is only a 1 in 3 chance that the papers have survived anyway.

Sorry that I cannot be more positive.

regards

Mel

caoh

One further avenue that I forgot to mention. If you have your grandparents wartime residential address then you could check the 1918 Absent Voters Roll for Birkenhead.

If you are really lucky that could contain your grandfather's battalion and service number.

Make an enquiry at your local records Office as a starter for the location of the Roll.

regards

Mel