Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

42nd division

roger

Can anyone confirm that the patches worn by this Div. were worn on both sleeves? Specifically those worn by 1/7 Lancashire Fusiliers.

Cheers, the accuracy of a future painting project depends on this info.

Roger.

Roger,

If you go to the Osprey Men-at-Arms series of books: British Territorial Units 1914-1918, Plate D; it has the whole of the 42nd Divisions Battle Flashes for Brigades and Units - but 1918.

The Motarman and Machine Gunner have their left arms showing the Diamond shaped insignia. It also has a 5th LF man with his right arm showing the insignia. I could not find it clearly stated that it was on both arms, but the assumption form the plates is that it is.

hope this helps

Aye

Tom McC

Thank you Tom. I have the book in question and am using it as reference for the figure I am painting and I must admit it never occured to me to look at the illustrations like that.

I am pretty sure they were worn on both sleeves but confirmation will save a lot of work later if I assume incorrectly.

Thanks again,

Roger.

Roger,

Have you a copy or access to the 42nd Division's History? As this allegedly has a detailed description of the Battle Insignia of this division. It claims this in the Osprey book of First World War British Battle Insignia.

Again, hope this helps

Aye

Tom McC

Tom, the chap I am painting the figure for has ordered said book from N&M Press so should be able to look up info there.

Simon, thanks very much for that, I think it answers my query.

Roger.