Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Prince of Wales's Chauffeur

Raster Scanning

The small mid Beds village of Haynes has a simple plinth and cross memorial in the churchyard, it is unusual in that most of the mens names are given in full and some have additional information.

Two names particularly drew my attention.

1) Lt Col Algernon Carteret Thynne DSO, Royal North Devon Huzzars.

Thynne came from Haynes Park, the local stately home, the grounds of which were used for a large RE camp during the war.

2) Pte Harry C Green, Grenadier Guards (chauffer to His Royal Highness Prince of Wales)

I was interested in the second man, particularly the information about who he was working for, but could not find him on the CWGC site. If anyone has anything further on him or Thynne I would be interested.

John

Just done a bit of extra research and found he is listed as an ASC man, I find it unusual that a Guardsman transferred to the ASC, could it be because of injury and a downgrade of medical catagory?

By the way sorry for the double post, not my fault honest :D

Can a kind moderator please remove one.

Thanks.

• Admin

John,

Driver Green is buried in Vermelles British Cemetery, in extension over the road if I recall.

Somewhere I have a photo of his grave, but it would take some searching.

Also buried in Vermelles is Viscount Weymouth who if I recall correctly, was related to the Thynnes of Longleat.

Regards, Michelle :blink:

• Admin

Viscount Weymouth was the eldest son and heir to Thomas Thynne 5th Marquess of Bath.

Michelle.

Thanks for the reply, if you can dig out the picture I would love a copy. No hurry :)

Cheers.

John.

• Admin

John,

As the waether has become very brass monkeys recently, I don't fancy trawling through the photos in the attic which is where I'm sure it will be- haved moved house twice since I took the picture of Driver Greens grave.

When it gets warmer, I'll have a look.