Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Interpreting Medal Entitlement Records

Sarge53rd

Hello and greetings to all from the USA!

I have learned a lot recently from looking at posts on this Forum regarding interpreting Medal Entitlement Cards, and have a couple of quick questions regarding my Grandfather's. He was Frank Audsley Marsden, Lance Cpl/Sgt/2Lt in the K.O.Y.L.I, regimental number 18605.

I was fortunate enough, over two years ago, to make contact with a gentleman by the name of Barry Tookey in England who very kindly helped me with a little research on my Grandad and he looked up his medal card for me. Sadly, I have misplaced the softcopy file he sent me showing the card and the paper copy I printed is somewhat faded and getting hard to read.

1. Can someone tell me what a "1" in "Theatre of War First Served In" stands for?

2. Is there another way, other than by going back to the Medal Entitlement Card, to find out the "Date of Entry Therein"? I THINK it says 26.8.15 (August 26, 1915) but it's very hard to read.

3. Does anyone know Barry Tookey??!!!

I have learned more this past week, from interacting with many of you on this Forum and receiving e-mails in response to things I posted about my Grandad, and with the help of wonderful people like Barry Tookey, than I have in well over a year by "futzing around" (good ole' American term!) by myself. Thank you all so much!

Kind regards,

Paul Jerram

Sarge53rd@aol.com

Paul - in this context "1" = France. Date looks right for first overseas date for 8th Battalion KOYLI, but you should really check his service record. Regards - Tom

Paul - in this context "1" = France. Date looks right for first overseas date for 8th Battalion KOYLI, but you should really check his service record. Regards - Tom

Tom - thank you. This confirms what I thought. I'm just still learning some of the acronyms and the numbering schemes!

I really appreciate your help.

Kind regards,

Paul

• 1 year later...