The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Hollybrook Memorial Southampton.

I'll be hopefully visiting the Memorial in a couple of weeks time to find the name of my great-uncle who died when HMTs Donegal was sunk in the Channel in April 1917.

If anyone has a name on the Memorial that they'd like a photo of, add the name here and I'll do my best.

Mike.

Hi Mike.

Yes Please.

Taylor, Charles Harry 2nd Lt. 10th West Yorks [Drowned at Sea] 17-11-1915.

Would you be then kind enough to post it on the 'Roll of Honour' I've compiled to the 10th West Yorks on 'Soldiers'.

Many Thanks and Kind Regards,

Dave

Mike;

A picture of the Panel that records Armourer Sergeant THOMAS BERNARD INSLEY

4th Nigeria Regiment,would be much appreciated,

A real Boys Own Hero,Thomas Insley;Born 1876,in Penn Staffordshire, was an Turner/Engineer {1901 in Poplar East London} Married to Edith Annie,who lived @ St John's Worcester;Thomas had worked for & on the Nigeria Railways,as a Mechanical Engineer,pre war & had been seconded as an Armourer Sergeant with the 4th Battalion The Nigeria Regiment when war was declared.

He had once dug a Bullet out of his own stomach,with a pocket knife,when wounded in a Fire fight during the opening stages of the War in East Africa!

He was being sent back to the UK after breaking both his Legs after jumping into a Trench and was lost on 24th April 1917,when the ship he was travelling back to the UK on was sunk off the English Coast.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Roger{HB}

Thomas & Edith had one son,Ernest Alfred,who had emigrated to Canada aged 15!,he had enlisted in 1915,giving his age as 23 & giving "Previous Military Service" as "Boy Scout" on his Attestation Papers,but in all reality was 16,into the 3rd Company,2nd Central Ontario Regiment,and served overseas being killed in action;aged just 19;on 9th April 1917;just two weeks before his Father had died,Ernest {Pte/412123} was interred @ Ecoivres Miliary Cemetery Mont St Eloi.

A very kind offer - thankyou!

I have one:

Lieutenant John Vick Thomas, 474 South Midland Field Company Royal Engineers.

Died if disease on HMT Royal George 03/12/18 whilst seconded for service with the Indian army.

One of those on my old school war memorial.

Cheers,

Bob.

Mike - if it's long trip, let me know and I'll do the honours: it's about 20 minutes for me.

If you do go - watch the jobsworths in charge of the cemetary: I had a right row a few years ago when i got caught taking photos in the cemetary - not allowed under Council by-laws. I did point out that this bit (and the WW2 bit further up the hill) were CWGC, not council, but, boy, did he have a problem!

Also, parking is extremely dodgy - it's right next to the General Hospital, who have the usual NHS attitude to parking (pay, pay, pay), so the on-street parking is usually full of hospital visitors who won't pay. result - it's either full, or very short-term parking, policed by local Council jobsworths....do I detect a pattern here?

Steven,

Thanks for the 'heads-up' about the jobsworth!

I'm combining the visit with other reasons to be in the area, setting off today.

I'm travelling by my usual mode, motorcycle, so hopefully the parking advantages will apply.

I've made a list of the names requested here and by PM, I'll be in touch with the results in a few days.

Mike.

Mike - if it's long trip, let me know and I'll do the honours: it's about 20 minutes for me.

If you do go - watch the jobsworths in charge of the cemetary: I had a right row a few years ago when i got caught taking photos in the cemetary - not allowed under Council by-laws. I did point out that this bit (and the WW2 bit further up the hill) were CWGC, not council, but, boy, did he have a problem!

Also, parking is extremely dodgy - it's right next to the General Hospital, who have the usual NHS attitude to parking (pay, pay, pay), so the on-street parking is usually full of hospital visitors who won't pay. result - it's either full, or very short-term parking, policed by local Council jobsworths....do I detect a pattern here?

Yes Councillor, you do :P

Hi Mike

Could you keep an eye out for the name of Victor Ewart. I belive that his name could be on a memorial tablet that is no longer in Normanton church Rutland.

cheers keith

Hi Mike.

Yes Please.

Taylor, Charles Harry 2nd Lt. 10th West Yorks [Drowned at Sea] 17-11-1915.

Would you be then kind enough to post it on the 'Roll of Honour' I've compiled to the 10th West Yorks on 'Soldiers'.

Many Thanks and Kind Regards,

Dave

Dave,

Here is the panel.

90620680-M.jpg

Mike;

A picture of the Panel that records Armourer Sergeant THOMAS BERNARD INSLEY

4th Nigeria Regiment,would be much appreciated,

Roger,

90620682-M.jpg

90620683-M.jpg

Lieutenant John Vick Thomas, 474 South Midland Field Company Royal Engineers.

Died if disease on HMT Royal George 03/12/18 whilst seconded for service with the Indian army.

Bob,

90620687-M.jpg

90620688-M.jpg

Thanks Mike,

Sorry, I should have also asked for Cpl Richard Miller No. 10869 [10th West Yorks]

Kind Regards,

Dave

Dave,

Here's Cpl Miller.

90620684-M.jpg

Hi Mike

Could you keep an eye out for the name of Victor Ewart. I belive that his name could be on a memorial tablet that is no longer in Normanton church Rutland.

cheers keith

Keith,

Sorry. I missed your post before I left.

Mike.

The name I was after....

90620678-M.jpg

and one of the Memorial.

90620677-M.jpg

My mate and I had no problems parking. The Council bloke even told us to park our motorcycles inside the cemetery! :P

The Memorial isn't easy to find. It doesn't seem to be on the road mentioned by the CWGC website and I didn't see any of the usual white on green CWGC fingerpost signs. :huh:

If anyone wants me to email a copy of the photo's, just PM me your email address.

Regards,

Mike.

Hi Mike,

Many Thanks for taking the time and effort to post the inscription of Lt. Taylor and Cpl Miller [10th West Yorks and 'HMHS Anglia']. This is greatly appreciated.

Best Wishes,

Dave

Mike - you are an absolute star!

Many thanks for the photos of Thomas. The poor chap died on board a troopship serving with the Indian army.

Thanks again,

Bob.

Top Man! Many thanks & you've given the name of the Ship{SS Abosso}he was aboard,which isn't on CWGC site & I previously didn't know;excellent!

Kind regards HB{Roger}