Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battlefields near cemetary?

Guest SSamonas

Thought I let you know this is a fantastic site. I am looking forward to finding more information about the 41st division of the new army. My grandfather John MacDonald

was a gunner with the 190th Brigade, 'B' Battery, RFA.

What I really like to know is what battles were fought near Bienvillers Cemetary? My grandfather was killed on April 1, 1918 and buried there.

Regards, Sheena

Sheena

As soon as I have a moment I will have a look in my copy of "History of the Royal Regiment of Artillery" and see what that says. It may take a while but I will get back to you!

Garth

Sheena

I don't think there was major action in that sector on that day, so it's likely that your grandfather was killed in one of the regular artillery exchanges. Bienvillers seems to have been a base for artillery for quite a while. My great uncle was killed there on 29 June 1916 whilst attached to 124th Brigade, RFA. He's buried a little way behind the lines at Hannescamps.

John

The nearest frontline area to Bienvillers on 1st April would have been around Hebuterne down to the Auchonvillers ridge, where the Germans had been stopped by the NZ Division around 27th March. I suspect 41st Division had been brought in to stem the advance (hadn't it just come back from Italy?)... no doubt its artillery was firing in support, and German counter-battery fire must have hit the gun sites of 190/RFA.

Hi Sheena

According to the Official History, the 41st Div. was ordered to be transferred from the Third Army to the second Army on the 31st March, but I am sure its Artillery would have stayed with the Third Army for a few days or more.

Annette

Thank you everyone for the illuminating details. I had a look at the main website for the 41st Division and it fits in with what I was told about my grandfather transferred to the Western Front from Italy. John MacDonald was only 24 at the time and I thought how sad to know that many of the men were so young and never made it home.

So it is possible that he was killed during those artillery exchanges and not in a battle at that time.

Can anyone suggest a good book on WW1 history? Garth mentioned the "History of the Royal Regiment of Artillery" and wouldn't mind getting more information on that particular time frame.

Thank you all with appreciation,

Sheena

Sheena

The history doesn't give a great deal of information on individual units. As you say 190 Brigade RFA were part of 41 Division At the time it formed part of the Left Group of IV Corps of Third Army. It had been heavily involved in the fighting around Bapaume in the German advance. The history states that "there was then a lull on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd April".

That's all we have.

Garth