Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadians avter Vimy

Soren

Its pretty good but not quite as good as some of your other ones, I don't know if it quite captures the drama of the situation. And on an irritating techinical point wouldn't that Lewis gun be being used in consolidation of captured positions? I still enjoy seeing your work and its much better then anything I could do.

JGM :)

Hi JGM<

I think my vision was them, not jubilant but just having a 5 minute break, but what you said is quite right they would have been consolidating and the weapon would be in use!

many thanks

Regarding the Vimy sketch, the "drama" would have varied with each Canadian Corps division. Some objectives were reached with very little effort and others required expensive and sustained combat.

Perhaps one element which was common to all the Canadian divisions on the first day was the driving snowstorm - you might consider adding some snow.

Here is an excerpt from the war diary of a Canadian unit I am researching which you may wish to use in your representation. Borden Battery

--------------------

Borden Motor Machine Gun Battery [1st C.M.M.G. Bde] - CAMBLIGNEUL, FRANCE

Easter Monday. Low Clouds. Changeable with light wind. Rains Sleet and hail.

Battery in the Zero Position “E” after receiving all the necessary Data, Maps and locations of Positions and Targets, with Time Sheets for the firing of the creeping Machine Gun Barrages for this offensive Operation: The Borden Motor Machine Gun Battery opened fire at the zero hour, 5.30 a.m. from the “E” position which was (A.4.C.1.1 Sheet ROCLINCOURT 51B. N.W.) This Battery of eight Guns fired on all Targets allotted from this Position throughout the Action, finishing at 10 am. During the early part of the action the Battery was very heavily shelled by the Enemy’s heavy calibre Guns, but owing to the construction of particularly good cover, there were no casualties.

All Ranks “Carried On” with the utmost steadiness and deliberation throughout this phase of the Battle. On the left of this Battery was the Yukon Battery who were sharing like conditions to this unit. The Borden Motor Machine Gun Battery during this 1st phase was attached to the 4th Brigade M.G. Coy., 2nd Cdn. Division whose Headquarters were at the famous “ZIVY CAVE.”

At about 1 p.m. the Battery received orders to move to the 2nd phase positions, the first of which was the “R” Position situated about 3 miles N. West of the “E” Position, and immediately behind the famous “Pimple” of the VIMY RIDGE. This move was made overland, everybody Packing or carrying the Guns, Ammunition, Water and other fighting Equipment. The “R” Position was reached about 5 p.m. but was not actually occupied until after dark on account of the Position being under observation by the Enemy. During the night of the 9th/10th the Battery worked on improving the Positions and getting them in readiness for the 2nd phase to commence on the morning of the 10th.

-- signed P.A.G. Mac Carthy, Capt. O.C. 1st Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade

for F. A. Wilkin, Lieut.-Colonel