Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australian Women Died

jmaitri

Hi,

I'm attempting to track down Australian women whose deaths were connected with the war. I've found many of the AANS, Red Cross, & a few VAD ladies, but would like to see how my lists compare. Also, am keen on finding out if any Australian women died while serving as Munitions Workers or with the Merchantile Marine.

I've ran several searches through the AWM, CWGC, & flipped through the Forum (saw some good leads, but the posts were a bit old).

Any help with names will be most appreciated!

Jay

PS I have ran several searches through the AWM & CWGC & etc.

• 3 months later...

Hi Jay, Perhaps you can help me with a query I posted yesterday about Fanny Isobel Christine TYSON with the AANS who died of a cerebral haemorrhage and is buried at Sutton Veney. She spent some time nursing in the Hurdcott (Australian) hospital near Fovant. I was particularly keen to get a photo if I could - the only one I have heard of is still in negative form in the AWM files and therefore unobtainable. Thanks mamck

Hi Jay, Perhaps you can help me with a query I posted yesterday about Fanny Isobel Christine TYSON with the AANS who died of a cerebral haemorrhage and is buried at Sutton Veney. She spent some time nursing in the Hurdcott (Australian) hospital near Fovant. I was particularly keen to get a photo if I could - the only one I have heard of is still in negative form in the AWM files and therefore unobtainable. Thanks mamck

Died April 20, 1919, aged 28, daughter of John and Teresa Tyson of 18, Blanche Street, Elsternwick, Victoria.

(But I suspect that you knew that, Mamck!)

Also buried at Sutton Veny: Matron Jane Miles, Royal Red Cross 1st Class, died of sickness October 30, 1918, aged 39. Daughter of Alfred and Louisa Miles Walker of Allowah, Dunbarra Road, Bellevue Hill, Sydney.

Moonraker

Hi Mamck,

I just have a bit of information from her file at the NAA. I'm not sure where else you can obtain a picture of her from--perhaps researching local papers from where she came from? You may be able to find one of her from around the time she went into the AANS or around the time she died. There's also a chap that put together a roll on Australian nurses about 2 or 3 years ago. I can't remember the details, but the book is a recent publication, so it may be easily located. Right now I'm away from home on a job that'll keep me gone for several months, so I don't have access to a lot of my data on (like the book I just mentioned).

Not much help Mamck--my apologies!

Jay

• 4 weeks later...
Died April 20, 1919, aged 28, daughter of John and Teresa Tyson of 18, Blanche Street, Elsternwick, Victoria.

(But I suspect that you knew that, Mamck!)

Also buried at Sutton Veny: Matron Jane Miles, Royal Red Cross 1st Class, died of sickness October 30, 1918, aged 39. Daughter of Alfred and Louisa Miles Walker of Allowah, Dunbarra Road, Bellevue Hill, Sydney.

Moonraker

Thanks Moonraker, I did find out quite a bit about Fanny on a visit to AWM on my way back to UK from NZ - a very helpful gentleman on the computers there kept coming in with more pages of info as he found it. But no photo other than the very small, general ward scene on AWM site. I will follow up the other one too incase she also was at Hurdcott. mamck

Hi Mamck,

I just have a bit of information from her file at the NAA. I'm not sure where else you can obtain a picture of her from--perhaps researching local papers from where she came from? You may be able to find one of her from around the time she went into the AANS or around the time she died. There's also a chap that put together a roll on Australian nurses about 2 or 3 years ago. I can't remember the details, but the book is a recent publication, so it may be easily located. Right now I'm away from home on a job that'll keep me gone for several months, so I don't have access to a lot of my data on (like the book I just mentioned).

Not much help Mamck--my apologies!

Jay

Thanks jmaitra. I shall cast about for the book you mention. You never know your luck. mamck

WEEKS R

Australian

Regiment/Service: Australian Munition Worker

Date of Death: 02/03/1919

Service No: B/2772

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: J. "C." 528.

Cemetery: WAKEFIELD CEMETERY

Mick