Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

reincarnation

Captain Chavasse

does anyone else out there believe that their interest (or obsession) in the war is because they actually lived through it in a past life? I'm female this time around,but i was definately a Tommy last time. (Or am i just a weirdo?)

I'll admit (but only just) :ph34r: to having this thought cross my mind once before. It was after far too many drinks & in the cold SOBER light of day I put it down to mere wishful thinking.

does anyone else out there believe that their interest (or obsession) in the war is because they actually lived through it in a past life?

I don't actually believe in reincarnation as such (and this is definately not the reason for my interest in WW1!), but I used to experience some extremely vivid and detailed dreams throughout my childhood and early teen years. I could have the same dream several times over a few days and,occasionally, one or two would be "continuations" of each other. Even stranger, in later life, I began to experience a knowledge of streets and roads in places I'd never visited, even recognising the places where a certain building etc. used to be that was no-longer there. Many of these happenings took place in Northern France in the area between Arras and Boulogne but didn't seem to happen in many other places.

My mother always put this down to "memories" being passed on through the genes rather than anything else (using the quote: "what do new-born babies dream of?"). I could always believe this as the areas I dreamt of and recognised were the areas where my Grandfather was at the most traumatic period of his life (May 1940).

Dave. (...and you thought that you were a weirdo!!! :D )

does anyone else out there believe that their interest (or obsession) in the war is because they actually lived through it in a past life?

Simple answer....Nope.

I'll admit that, when I'm in the right mood, if I close my eyes I can 'see' the landscape of the Western Front, the shells exploding etc, but that is due to the amount of accounts of life in the front-line I have read and not reincarnation.

My interest in the Great War took a long time in coming, when I was younger I only wanted to know about WW2 and I found the Great War boring ( :o ). After WW2 lost it's appeal I became interested in the Anglo-Zulu War, then the 2nd Anglo-Boer War before getting hooked on the Great War.

If reincarnation does exist, then I must have been one real evil son-of-a-gun in a previous life judging by my life at the moment (all feel sorry for me) :lol:

well when i look at most of the bloke in the great war society they are the ww1 tommie every film from the GW you see them.

if you look at my gtgt grandad i look just like him and my gt aunt says i act and look just like him :blink: .

on this subject has anyone had that strange felling whilst in a battlefield where you just find yourself standing their and you just freeze and you can hear a thing . like someone has just grabed you.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Now this is something that has always intrigued me!

Sorry to answer the original question with a question, but has anyone ever been hypnotised and taken back to a former life?

I have a cassette tape of me doing this and spookey is not the word :o

If you ever get the chance try it!

Ian

C'mon, Ian, don't leave us dangling ! Who were you/ what did you remember?

Major-General or Tommy??

I have enough problems in trying to understand what is happening to me in this life, let alone any previous ones.

Why weren't they a pox ridden, gin swilling prostitute from the 1700's?

Because they prefer to forget the pox-ridden, gin-swilling serial-adultering men of a previous life.

Why, when the subject of reincarnation is brought up, do loads of women claim they were Cleopatra or a princess in a previous life?

Source please? Name, year of publication, word for word account..... comparative study with male gender? I always thought that it was the men who claimed they were Cleopatra, or Pocohontas....? :lol:

Sue - ex- gin swilling crone [well, I wasn't going to lay claim to the 'prostitute' bit!]

Source please? Name, year of publication, word for word account..... comparative study with male gender? I always thought that it was the men who claimed they were Cleopatra, or Pocohontas....?

Sue, my dear ex-gin swilling crone :lol:, I'm afraid I can't supply the details you require, but I know for a fact that it wasn't in the last edition of 'Medal News'!!

The claims are normally made during those horrendous morning TV shows or on Ch4 in the evenings, slotted between 'I Married an Alien' and 'When House Plants Attack'.

Also, why are loads of Mediums called Doris? Is 'Doris' a mystic name that can conjure up the spirits from the 'Other Side'? If so, then I'm going to change my name to Doris 'Cleopatra' Bradbury and make loads of dosh B)

Also, why are loads of Mediums called Doris? Is 'Doris' a mystic name that can conjure up the spirits from the 'Other Side'?

Now Lee, I have the bad luck to spend some time watching TV with my mother and have learnt a thing or two. These mediums are all chaps [or profess to be in this life] - they are called John Edward, Colin Fry, James van Something, Tony Stock....? and Derek Acora [or similar]. Which ones have the middle name Doris? Or was Doris their mum? I don't believe that Americans are ever called Doris, which would exclude a couple. I have a feeling that mention of Doris does perhaps show that in your previous life you lived during the 1970's :o

Sue

Now Lee, I have the bad luck to spend some time watching TV with my mother and have learnt a thing or two. These mediums are all chaps [or profess to be in this life] - they are called John Edward, Colin Fry, James van Something, Tony Stock....? and Derek Acora [or similar]. Which ones have the middle name Doris? Or was Doris their mum? I don't believe that Americans are ever called Doris, which would exclude a couple. I have a feeling that mention of Doris does perhaps show that in your previous life you lived during the 1970's :o

Sue

Doris Stokes is one of them, and I have seen at least 2 others called Doris but their surnames escape me at the moment.

The 1970's? Yep, I was there in the decade that good taste forgot, as well as the last 3 years of the 60's.

Hi Captain Chavasse

(or am I just a weirdo)

Your just a weirdo mate.

Only joking :lol: I am not sure if I delieve in reincarnation or not. A big part of me does not but I've had dreams were I wake up believing I've killed someone, and I feel very worried and guilty, then I come to my senses, the cloths in the dream date back to 1300 or so ? As for Great War, after reading a book I see the scenes of what I've read in my head for days after. Also I've done drawings of Great War Soldiers and I look at them and I'am sure some else as done them through me, as I can not draw none related Great War subjects so well, does that make sense :blink:

Annette

Maybe i think i've lived before just because i get so emotional about the whole thing,especially after reading soldiers personal stories and then going to the place where the events took place. My friend thinks i was probably a whore in a Paris brothel which sounds like a lot more fun!

Captain Chavasse

My friend thinks i was probably a whore in a Paris brothel which sounds like a lot more fun!

Im sure its safe to say that anybody who was around Europe during WW1, contributed to the war one way or another. :lol: