Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3rd Extra Reserve Battalion Royal Munster Fusilier

Sullivan

I have the two volume history of the RMF by Captain S. McCance published 1927, left to me by my father, a former soldier of the 1st Battalion RMF.

For some unknown reason, the 3rd, 4th and 5th Extra Reserve Battalions are not covered in this publication.

I am interested in finding out who was Commanding the 3rd during the period 1915-1917.

I know they were stationed at Aghada Co. Cork Ireland, and at Plymouth England prior to end of WW I, but little else.

Thanking all in advance and wishing every one a Happy New Year.

James O'Sullivan

Brisbane Aust.

• 4 years later...
I have the two volume history of the RMF by Captain S. McCance published 1927, left to me by my father, a former soldier of the 1st Battalion RMF.

For some unknown reason, the 3rd, 4th and 5th Extra Reserve Battalions are not covered in this publication.

I am interested in finding out who was Commanding the 3rd during the period 1915-1917.

I know they were stationed at Aghada Co. Cork Ireland, and at Plymouth England prior to end of WW I, but little else.

James O'Sullivan

Brisbane Aust.

Hope I'm not too late with this reply but I believe that the officer commanding was Lt.-Col. Brasier-Creagh. The 3rd Battalion arrived in Cork city on the 20th of October, 1914, from Tralee, and were about 800 strong. The battalion had been training at Bere Island, prior to taking up quarters in Tralee, and had sent out numerous drafts to the front.

James O'Sullivan

Brisbane Aust.

Hi,

Here is the Army List for the 3rd and 4th Battalions November 1916.

Regards MARK

post-14045-1177377387.jpg

Thanks for that Mark, interesting reading. Incidentally, the 3rd Battalion was based in a tented camp at Aghada because nearby Fort Carlisle was full. The camp was in a field opposite the Presbyterian (former Church of Ireland) Church. Apparently, three or four battalions were stationed there in tents, not far from where William Cosgrove VC is buried. There is no trace of the camp to be seen now and the field has been ploughed over.

• 3 years later...

Incidentally, the 3rd Battalion was based in a tented camp at Aghada because nearby Fort Carlisle was full. The camp was in a field opposite the Presbyterian (former Church of Ireland) Church. Apparently, three or four battalions were stationed there in tents, not far from where William Cosgrove VC is buried. There is no trace of the camp to be seen now and the field has been ploughed over.

Thanks, that is very useful information to me. Since my ancestors came from the area I am interested in its military history. I have a couple of points you may be able to help me with.

William Cosgrove VC is buried in the cemetery at Upper Aghada near the Catholic church. I didnt notice a Presbyterian church when I was there in August, but then I wasn't looking for it or for the camp site. So I presume that the camp was in Upper Aghada. If so, that is about four miles from Fort Carlisle.

Were the the men at Upper Aghada logically part of the fort garrison but accommodated elsewhere for practical reasons - or did they have some other function?

In the 1911 census the garrison of Fort Carlisle is given as three officers and 116 men - most RMF, but some RE. So if in wartime the whole 3rd battalion plus a couple of other battalions were all there that would be an extra 2-3000 men. Why? Surely the point of the fort was to fire a few guns at any enemy ships coming near the harbour entrance and 100 men were enough to do that. Was there then some fear that the enemy might land an invasion force to try to capture the fort?

Any ideas on this gratefully received.

Bart O'Brien

The CO's Silver ID braclet & insignia was sold last year in Belfast, ex Dublin banker (Hazelton) collection! Now 'home' with the grandson of a 3rd Bn man, CO was B-Crozier.