Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WMCA?

Lorraine CJ

I was wondering if anyone knew what the initials WMCA sttod for. From the context I guess it was a place where tea, buns, etc were sold to soldiers during training in England.

Hope someone can help,

LCJ

Sure it's WMCA? The Young Men's Christian Association - YMCA - provided the sort of facilities you describe in camps in the UK before the Great War and during it - and perhaps still do? Virtually every hutted camp had a YMCA hut and virtually every tented camp had a YMCA marquee. They provided light refreshments (non-alcoholic drinks), writing materials and entertainment. I wasn't aware that there was much evangelism until I read "With the Colours" by J Kennedy Maclean and T Wilkinson Riddle, describing YMCA activities at army camps (including that of the First Canadian Contingent on Salisbury Plain) in the first months of the war. The authors claimed impressive figures for those who "had declared for Christ".

The YMCA archives are held at Birmingham University.

Moonraker

I just wanted to make sure WMCA did not exist.

I was reading my great-uncle's letters, whose handwriting was difficult to understand, so yes, it probably is YMCA.

Thanks for that,

LCJ