Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Stories behind the cap badge

Guest KevinEndon

Guest KevinEndon

I know one cap badge where the cannonballs are larger than the cannons or the other way round because the regiment the royal ordnance corps (I think) sent the wrong size cannonballs to a battle. There is a regiment (the name escapes me at the moment) where they wear two cap badges one at the front and a smaller one at the back, why?

Are there any more stories behind cap badges of other regiments/corps

The Gloucestershire Regiment wear a Smaller badge @ the back of the Cap to commemorate their fighting "Back to Back"

The Gloucestershire Regiment wear a Smaller badge @ the back of the Cap to commemorate their fighting "Back to Back"

It WAS the Glosters, now it's the RGBW Regt soon to become The Rifles.

Here's the story of the RGBW front badge.

http://www.thewardrobe.org.uk/badge.php3

Here's the story of the back badge.

http://www.glosters.org/bbadge.htm

Grenadier Guards got there cap badge from battle of Waterloo.

At this point Napoleon directed his final assault with fresh troops - the Imperial Guard, which had hitherto been maintained in reserve. That assault was utterly defeated, and, in honour of their defeat of the Grenadiers of the French Imperial Guard, the 1st Guards were made a Regiment of Grenadiers and given the title of "First or Grenadier Regiment of Foot Guards" which they bear to this day. The Grenade was adopted as a badge and the Bearskin Cap was worn after Waterloo.

http://www.army.mod.uk/grenadier/history_a...led_history.htm

It was the Gloucesters,or rather the 28th Foot; when they won the distinction of two Badges,will the RGBW/Rifles wear two badges to which they are not entitled?

It was the Gloucesters when they won the distinction of two Badges,will the RGBW/Rifles wear two badges to which they are not entitled?

The Rifles will have the back badge.

Are any of the amalgamated Regiments entitled to "other" Regiments Honours?

Yes they are.

If they weren't we may as well have a Corps of Infantry.

Anyway the RGBWLI have worn the back badge since 1994.

The "Light Infantry" bit gets me, the Glosters, Royal Berks and Wilts were never Light Infantry, it's these amalgamations again.

If they weren't we may as well have a Corps of Infantry.

I think TB is working on that one! ;)

17th Lancers and the skull and crossbones with the scroll "or glory" "badge" referred to in the regiment as a motto.

The Officer who was authorised to raise the regiment did so after the battle of Quebec where General Wolfe was killed and he had served with him there. The regiment also had a strip of black cloth in their regimental lace as a reminder of Wolfe's death.

Cheshire Regiment's oak leaves and acorn; some sources give the reason for this being adopted as the soldiers from the regiment placing oak leaves in thier caps before the battle of Dettingen (I think, one of Marlborough's battles anyway).

Most of the badges are basically campaign related - Dragon = China (eg R.Berks, Border [collar]), Sphinx = Egypt (Lincolns, Glosters), Elephant = India (HLI) , Tiger = India (Leicesters, Yorks & Lancs,Hants.), Castle = Gibraltar (Essex)

Captured Eagles feature in the insignia of 1st Royal Dragoons, Royal Scots Greys and Essex Regt.

KOSB bore the arms of Edinburgh as they were raised in 24 hours by beat of drum in the city. South Lancs had arms of City of Lincoln as a collar badge for similar reason.

Royal Sussex Regt. had the "Rousillon Plume" in the cap badge for overthrowing the French Royal Rousillon Regt at Quebec.

Badge backings also had meanings. The South Staffs had a piece of sack coloured cloth behind the badge as they had been posted to the West Indies and forgot about for so long they were reduced to making clothes from sugar sacks. The R.Berks had a red inverted triangle behind the badge to commemorate the action at Brandywine in the American War of Independence. Leicesters had a green badge backing for service in Ireland. 1st Bn Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers wore a large red triangle behind the cap badge to commemorate service with the 29th Div.

Queen's had the lamb from the coat of arms of Catherine of Braganza.

The Gordons had the black spat buttons to remember Sir John Moore at Corunna-the Royal Welsh Fusiliers had the black flash on the collar for the wig tail so as not to mark the uniform.

As to the Corps of Infantry not long to go before they will be wearing sponsorship badges in lieu of Regimental badges-ie "this tank is sponsored by Mars!"-UN Forces sponsored by Ovaltine-sleep well at night with an Ovaltine.

watch my tracer!

Rob

Sponsorship - been done!

Well I 'm not sure of the exact details but all the tanks of 4th Bn Royal Tanks used to have eyes painted on them because all (?) the original tanks were bought for them by a Chinese Millionaire living in Malaya.

I was told this by a tankie on a train once and was dubious, but years later saw a picture of the guy painting in the eyeball on one of them. He also told me the guy's generosity was due to one of his family having been on a merchant ship which was sunk by a U-boat, but I've never seen anything on that.

anyone know the full script?

<snip>

Captured Eagles feature in the insignia of 1st Royal Dragoons, Royal Scots Greys and Essex Regt.

<snip>.

Captured eagle in the Essex Regiment badge?

This was a joke to catch the 'Sharpe' addicts, yes?

I see a sphynx, Gates and Key of Gibralter and laurels - no budgie. (sorry)

Tom

Further to the sponsorship theme, following the death of a son in the Second World War a Stirling bomber (and 4 Hurricane fighters) was purchased by the family - MacRoberts Reply. A Tornado (from XV Sqn) still carries the name.

Roxy