Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

11156 Henry F.Pickering Warwickshire reg

dpgdpg

Can anyone help me out with the date this award was given to Henry Francis Pickering 11156.

Ive looked on the London Gazette but the page i beleive he is mentioned is not obtainable (ruddy LG) If anyone can supply his citation then all the better.

Cheers folks.

Depot (from 9th Btn)

Thanks for that. I was told he served in Gallipoli by one of his family members so I thought that he proberbly served in the 9th.

Thanks again. ;)

the 9th served in gallipoli - and then egypt, mespot, north persia, south russia..

Oh smashing. Good on you.

I dont think ill ever work out the LG. I was trying to access that page for about an hour last night with no joy.

His family members will be well chuffed.

Nice one ;)

some more specific details

post-3871-1155324573.jpg

Oh smashing. Good on you.

I dont think ill ever work out the LG. I was trying to access that page for about an hour last night with no joy.

His family members will be well chuffed.

Nice one ;)

Hello

took me two minutes ! But then i knew where to look - thats the best way to find stuff as it narrows down the search options

Well i am just a corporal after-all. Not that bad though, i found a Pte.Brown once. Bundle of fun that was,and it only took me three and a half days :D

Well i am just a corporal after-all. Not that bad though, i found a Pte.Brown once. Bundle of fun that was,and it only took me three and a half days :D

Hello

its just practice. my first attempts where dire but you get better. Once you get used to the way the gazette is laid out you can find things much quicker - using service numbers is often better than names

But when you see the lay out, IE searching for a Pte C Brown, if you search Brown, C. you might do better

terry,

i'm sure i answered this question before on the 'pals' websie before it was 'attacked'

enoch

Hi Terry. My interest in Henry Francis Pickering and his brother Fred is due to recently becoming a friend to one of the family.

She told me that the Mayor presented to Henry on behalf of the people where he lived an inscripted watch which is still in the family. His Gallantry was celebrated by the town on his return.

Henry also served in the second WW im told.

And thank you for mentioning his MID. That was one of my LG success storys ;)

If questions about Henry Pickering has come up before , im aware that my friends brother looked into Henry in the past, but im sad to say that he passed on recently and with him anything he may of learnt.

terry,

i'm sure i answered this question before on the 'pals' websie before it was 'attacked'

enoch

Forgive me, its an age thing !!!!

Cheers

Terry

• 4 months later...

Hello,

I've only just come across this posting. I was offered the DCM, BWM and Victory medals to Pickering about 6 years ago but turned down the offer. I then found out that he came from Chase Terrace Staffordshire which was just up the road from where I lived. I contacted the dealer who offered me the medals but he did not have them any longer.

About 2 years ago I came into contact with his grandson who has the inscribed gold watch and a beautiful illuminated scroll presented to him by the people of chase terrace.

I then appealed on a medal forum for information on the whereabouts of his medals but without success.

Alan

[hello i hope this can be of help dpgdgp

i also have a photo of pickering if you need it

CHASETOWN SOLDIER WINS D.C.M.

GALLANTRY IN GALLIPOLI WHEN ONLY SURVIVOR OF NINE

In the last list of D.C.M. winners, published in the London Gazette, appears the name of Private Henry Francis Pickering, of the 9th Royal Warwick's. Private Pickering's parents live at Union Street, Chasetown, and the news of this distinction the first up to the present, has been received with much gratification in the village. He enlisted on February 22 last year, and his honour was gained on the last day that he spent on the Gallipoli Peninsula. He saw much severe fighting there, including the historic landing at Suvla Bay, when only the failure of water supply prevented us gaining a great victory. The circumstances which led to his gaining the award may be detailed as follows:- He was on outpost duty in No Mans Land, where he, with eight comrades had been sent to relieve nine others, who reported, “All in order and correct.” Things were quiet for a spell, but in less than half an hour it began to liven up a bit, and in a short time six of the party were killed and two wounded. Private Pickering alone being untouched. He bandaged the two wounded comrades up, undoubtedly saving the life of one, as a bullet had smashed his arm close to the wrist, and the blood was spurting out. Private Pickering knowledge of ambulance work thus proved very useful, for afterwards the doctor complimented him on the able manner in which he applied the tourniquet. It was impossible to leave the post without orders, and although the bullets were flying like rain all the time, he had to remain there for two and a half hours, with two wounded and six dead comrades. The commanding officer afterwards complimented him on not losing his head at a critical time. Upon examination by the doctor Private Pickering was found to be seriously affected with jaundice, and typhus enteric, so he was sent to the base, and afterwards to England. He is now in hospital in Liverpool. A brother, Private Fred Pickering, has been in the trenches over seven months with the Leicester's. He went into the trenches for the thirteenth time on the eve of his nineteenth birthday. He has done much patrol work in No Mans land. Before enlisting on April 22, last year, he was employed as a plumber by Mr. Schnabel, Walsall Wood.

The Walsall Observer and South Staffordshire Chronicle 1st July 1916

• 1 month later...

Hi kevan.

Sorry to take so long but ive only just come across your message.

Ill send you a PM.

Cheers

Steve

• 12 years later...

Did any one hear about the medals.. We are still trying to find them any recent information would be Greatly appricated. 

On 06/01/2007 at 20:45, kevan darby said:

[hello i hope this can be of help dpgdgp

i also have a photo of pickering if you need it

CHASETOWN SOLDIER WINS D.C.M.

GALLANTRY IN GALLIPOLI WHEN ONLY SURVIVOR OF NINE

In the last list of D.C.M. winners, published in the London Gazette, appears the name of Private Henry Francis Pickering, of the 9th Royal Warwick's. Private Pickering's parents live at Union Street, Chasetown, and the news of this distinction the first up to the present, has been received with much gratification in the village. He enlisted on February 22 last year, and his honour was gained on the last day that he spent on the Gallipoli Peninsula. He saw much severe fighting there, including the historic landing at Suvla Bay, when only the failure of water supply prevented us gaining a great victory. The circumstances which led to his gaining the award may be detailed as follows:- He was on outpost duty in No Mans Land, where he, with eight comrades had been sent to relieve nine others, who reported, “All in order and correct.” Things were quiet for a spell, but in less than half an hour it began to liven up a bit, and in a short time six of the party were killed and two wounded. Private Pickering alone being untouched. He bandaged the two wounded comrades up, undoubtedly saving the life of one, as a bullet had smashed his arm close to the wrist, and the blood was spurting out. Private Pickering knowledge of ambulance work thus proved very useful, for afterwards the doctor complimented him on the able manner in which he applied the tourniquet. It was impossible to leave the post without orders, and although the bullets were flying like rain all the time, he had to remain there for two and a half hours, with two wounded and six dead comrades. The commanding officer afterwards complimented him on not losing his head at a critical time. Upon examination by the doctor Private Pickering was found to be seriously affected with jaundice, and typhus enteric, so he was sent to the base, and afterwards to England. He is now in hospital in Liverpool. A brother, Private Fred Pickering, has been in the trenches over seven months with the Leicester's. He went into the trenches for the thirteenth time on the eve of his nineteenth birthday. He has done much patrol work in No Mans land. Before enlisting on April 22, last year, he was employed as a plumber by Mr. Schnabel, Walsall Wood.

The Walsall Observer and South Staffordshire Chronicle 1st July 1916

Hi I'm hoping you have the picture of  private  H F Pickering, I'm the partner of Thomas Pickering, Tom's great grandad and I'd love to have a copy of the picture I could hopefully put along the framed roll of honour we have proudly hanging in our home, thank u

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. This is a very old thread and dpgdpg hasn't visited th forum for 6 years. You could try sending him a private message, he may receive it if he's still using the same email address that he was using when he registered.

Michelle

• 2 years later...
On 02/07/2019 at 11:30, Selina and tom said:

Hi I'm hoping you have the picture of  private  H F Pickering, I'm the partner of Thomas Pickering, Tom's great grandad and I'd love to have a copy of the picture I could hopefully put along the framed roll of honour we have proudly hanging in our home, thank u

here is a photo of pickering D.C.M.

he was also presented with a roll of honour on returing from the war.

h f pickering dcm the walsall observer and south staffordshire chronicle 1st july 1916.jpg

pickering dcm the lichfield mercury 4 july 1941.png