Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Warley Barracks

andyspiller

They were @ Warley just off Brentwood High Street,in Essex,past where Selos {Ciba Ceigy}is {was until the 1980s}

The Regimental Chapel still stands on the site

Try contacting Brentwood Council

Andy, I see you live in Brentwood. Can I ask what your particular interest in Warley Barracks is. I am researching the memorials at Christ Church Warley and All Saints & Holy Cross, plus the Lorne Road Cemetery.

As to your question there have been a number of books (the old postcard type|) showing the barracks and at least one has a plan.

Patrick

Just as aside.

The chap we are "Remembering Today " was serving at those barracks when he died.

Pte David Henry JONES 12755 1 Bn, Grenadier Guards who died aged 28 on 14.08.14. Great Warley (Christ Church) Cemetery, Essex, UK

I have a well written magazine article (including a period map) on the Summer Camps in the Warley Area during the 18th century. Happy to send a copy if this should be of interest. PM with e-address if interested.

Dave

• 3 months later...

Andy,

Your thread has solved a minor mystery for me. I recently came across some English casualties from the 1st Royal Dublin Fusiliers who'd enlisted in Warley. I'd never heard of Warley and its barracks until I picked up this thread. So thanks -- even though your intention was other than answering a question I didn't have at the time you started the thread :D

Regards,

Philip

Andy,

Your thread has solved a minor mystery for me. I recently came across some English casualties from the 1st Royal Dublin Fusiliers who'd enlisted in Warley. I'd never heard of Warley and its barracks until I picked up this thread. So thanks -- even though your intention was other than answering a question I didn't have at the time you started the thread :D

Regards,

Philip

Phillip, did your casualties die overseas or at home. I have a list of those buried in Lorne Road Cem Warley but they are mostly Irish Guards

Patrick

Patrick

Its just that I drive through Warley most days and am curious how the site mapped onto modern day Warley.

Rgds

Andy

Andy did you get what you wanted. I can give a basic description based on what is in situ today if you want

Patrick

Andy did you get what you wanted. I can give a basic description based on what is in situ today if you want

Patrick

I'd be interested, Patrick, given that my grandfather spent time at Warley.

Adrian

Hi Patrick

Pretty much have a view circa 1800, but if you could add any meat onto the bones for circa 1914 it would be very much appreciated.

My Guardsman rejoined @ Warley before being shipped back to France in Nov '14.

Rgds

Andy

Patrick,

The casualties I mentioned were killed in Gallipoli during the 25 April 1915 landings and in the few days that followed.

Regards,

Philip

• 4 years later...

Hi everyone

I've just come across some background - including the Military Records - for the husband of a distant Drummond relation called William Thomas Miles.

He was born in St Pancras, London about 1858 and enlisted in the 1st Battalion, The Royal Scots as a Private soldier on 31 Dec 1870 at Westminster, London. He was promoted to Corporal on 8 May 1872, Sergeant on 17 Mar 1874 and Sergeant Major on 7 Jul 1880. Shortly after his marriage to Christina in Jan 1886 he was posted abroad, first to Dublin (8 months), Malta (May 1878 - Feb 1883), Barbados (May 1883 - Nov 1884) and finally South Africa (Oct 1884 - Sep 1891), before returning to the UK where he was discharged on 30 Dec 1891, with a pension, after 21 years service.

From his records I noticed that his first posting was to Warley Barracks.

Can anyone give me any information, firstly, as to why The Royal Scots should recruit in London and secondly, would Warley have been for Recruit Training - 'square-bashing'?

Many thanks

Chiad Fhear