Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieutenant J.R Wilson Canadian in R.N.A.S/R.A.F

medals1976

Can any members help me with information about the above officer? I have service papers for Lieut J.R Wilson for his R.A.F service but these do not say much. The papers do show that he flew many aircraft and flying boats in the R.N.A.S. He originally came from Canada, does anyone know even were he served or anything about his time in the R.N.A.S Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank-you.

Mike.

I can tell you that he was getting his initial training at Crystal Palace in the middle of June 1917. Most RNAS types went through the Crystal Palace on what was called a Disciplinary Course - this was where the sheltered young men got shouted at and rapidly acclimatised to military life. Lectures on engines, rigging, airframes, machine guns etc interspeced with lots of physical training and being shouted at! Usually lasted a couple of weeks then they would be posted to Eastchurch, Chingford, maybe Redcar, maybe eastbourne for basic flying training. Then off to Cranwell for advanced training.

By the 1st April 1918 he was flying seaplanes in the "Portsmouth Group" of Naval Air Stations.

Mike

Thanks a lot Mike, much appreciated. I wondered if he saw service in France? If anyone knows anything else please let me know.

Kind REgards.

Mike.

Can any members help me with information about the above officer? I have service papers for Lieut J.R Wilson for his R.A.F service but these do not say much. The papers do show that he flew many aircraft and flying boats in the R.N.A.S. He originally came from Canada, does anyone know even were he served or anything about his time in the R.N.A.S Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank-you.

Mike.

Just a few snippets: James Reginald Wilson seems to have served as a Sub Lt in the RNVR, probably as an observer dates unknown. Probationary Flight Officer 17th June 1917 and Flight Sub Lt on 24th Oct 1917.

Not aware of any Canadian connection (no mention in S.F Wise) He was at Lee on Solent in March 1918 and at Calshot in October 1918 and June 1919. Thats all I can say at present, but I hope to beaver out a bit more next week.

Regards Duncan

Thank-you very much Duncan. According to his papers it states R.N.A.S but I do not know anything about his time here. Its certainly building a better picture now with good help from yourself and other forum members. If you do find out more it would be really appreciated.

Kind Regards.

Mike.