Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RUNIC

JoR

Hi, I am looking for any information about the WW1 service of the White Star Line's ship Runic (113441). My Great Grandfather was the Captain of this ship from 1912 - 1919. Family members have said that he spent much of WW1 on trooping runs to/from Australia. Other than that I have been able to find very little information. In his Lloyd's Captains register records there is a reference to Runic going aground in Hampton Roads, Viriginia in May 1918. But I have been unable to find any details of this incident.

I would galdly appreciate any info anyone has or any ideas on where I should be looking.

There is something here, including pics

see http://www.geocities.com/White_Star_Liners/Runic-II.html

And the NA has twelve passenger lists for the period which you are interested in

You will find a link to the NA on this forum's mother site 'The Long, Long Trail'

When you reach the NA site do an advanced search with the name SS RUNIC and the dates 1912-1919

I hope that this is of help

best of luck

Michael

Hi Jo R,

Looking through the Service Records of one of my Great Uncles, he embarked at Portland, England on SS Runic for "Return to Australia" on 7/11/1915.

Had been evacuated from Gallipoli 27/4/1915, hospitalised in Malta and then England. Died at home 30/3/1916

Regards

Crunchy

One small story involving the Runic from the Times 20-5-1915

post-6536-1155198249.png

There are also plenty of pre- and post-war arrival and departure notices but, understandably, none during the war.

Steve.

One small story involving the Runic from the Times 20-5-1915

There are also plenty of pre- and post-war arrival and departure notices but, understandably, none during the war.

Steve.

Hi Steve. That's fantastic. Thankyou for posting it? Do you know if The Times archive is available online? I think I had read somewhere that it is. If it is I will definitely check it out.