Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Copy/Reprint Maps

gnr.ktrha

Hello,

Where can I buy good copies of WW1 maps ? a while back I was at the IWM in London and also a couple of museums in the Somme area and they all sold copies of WW1 maps.[ I should have bought some at the time] I've checked the IWM web site, but they are not listed in the shop section.

What I am after is the 51B Arras section maps for any period up until April 1917. I have a copy of an RGA war diary that a relative served with and I want to plot his movements and also the targets he was shooting at. It will also be handy for when I go to this area later this year.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Stewart

Have a google for GH Smith and Son.

Glyn

Mind you, the GH Smith reprint range is fairly limited, and tends to concentrate on the more "popular" areas - the Somme, Vimy, the Salient.

Not as a source to buy maps, but have a look at Croonaert's website Paths of Glory

http://pathsofglory.co.uk/

He has quite a lot of excerpts of original trench maps on the site, and if the one you are looking for is not there I suggest you start a new thread titled "51B Arras section maps for 1917" and he may have one he is able to scan and post for you.

Alan

Hello,

Thank you both for your tips. I will get on to them right away. I'm sure that I came across the Paths of glory website a while back. Forgot all about it, there are just so many ww1 related websites out there.

regards,

Stewart