Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Glencorse Wood

Annette Burgoyne

Hi All

The Grandson of C.S.M. Herbert Bufton, M.M., D.C.M. and Bar is planning to visit the places where his Grandfather won his medals. I have managed to find out where the D.C.M. and Bar were won for him. Herbert won the D.C.M. at Glencorse Wood on 22nd Aug. 1917, and Bar at Neuve Eglise on 12/4/18

His Grandson does not know much about the battlefiels and I've only visited once when I was 11, so I can not tell him alot about where he can and can't go. I have a copy of Nigel Cave's Sanctuary Wood & Hooge. I can see from the map of the area today, that there is a car park at Trench Museum Hooge Chateau. Could one walk from there to Glencorse Wood, it would be nice if there was a path way which passed over the areas of Jargon Switch & Jargon Trench ?

Can the Wood itself be entered, I have seen in posts that most woods can not be entered without permission.

One last question is todays Menin Road in the same place as back in the war, I can remember reading somewhere that it was rebuilt so many yard to the left of the original one, is this correct or not.

Sorry one more last question :blink: can anyone tell me about visiting Neuve Eglise area. Is it easy to get to from Menin Road area mentioned above.

Thanks in advance

Annette

Could one walk from there to Glencorse Wood, it would be nice if there was a path way which passed over the areas of Jargon Switch & Jargon Trench ?

Annette

I was there a few weeks ago, looking for where the 17th Manchesters were on 31 July 17 and, unless I missed it, there doesnt seem to be a path that will get you onto the actual Jargon Trench area. Due to modern buildings and the tree line, it was not easy to work out the "lie of the land".

As the Mancs didnt make it to Glencorse, I didnt bother to walk that far up and went off for coffee, feeling a little disappointed.

John

Hi John

Thanks for your reply. Looking at Great War maps it looks a simple walk across a few fields, one forgets about modern developments getting in the way.

Thanks

Annette

Hello,

I can just answer your last question.

To go to Neuve-Eglise (Nieuwkerke) you are taking the road Ieper-Armentières.

When you arrive in Messines (Mesen), take the first right road. 6 kms to Nieuwkerke, via Wulvergem.

Annie

Annette

I have 6 digital photos of neuve eglise churchyard taken in September. I can forward them if you would like them?

Garth

To Garth,

Is there also a digital photo, in which the church of Neuve Eglise (Nieuwkerke) is visible ? I would be very interested in receiving it.

Gilbert Deraedt B)

Gilbert

I didn't take a photo of the church on this visit. However I have been there before and I will look back through my 35mm photos and see what I can find. That may take a few days as I am busy selling poppies at the moment but I will be as quick as I can.

Garth