Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Port Lincoln - Adelaide to Egypt with ALH in 1915

BeppoSapone

I have been reading something written by my grandfathers elder brother, who had emigrated to South Australia.

He says that he was in the Merchant Navy and was on a ship called the Port Lincoln that carried the Light Horse from Adelaide to Egypt in "the early part of 1915". He left the ship in London, and joined another ship for the journey back to Australia.

He also mentions being on the same(?) ship, as Captains Steward (?) when the Emden was sunk off the Cocos Islands.

From Google I know that the Port Lincoln made the above trip, and that the Emden was earlier sunk in the Pacific.

He also says that, because he left the Port Lincoln in London, and did not make the round trip, he lost out on being awarded any medals. Would this be correct? I know next to nothing about the Merchant Navy, and the rules surrounding the issue of medals.

BeppoSapone,

Take a peek at the Aussie rules for entitlement to WW1 medals.

See http://www.asacaustralia.com/mint2.htm

It may be that your man would have had to serve more than 6 months at sea for the Mercantile Medal and may also qualify for the British war Medal.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

The Merchant Navy medals had to be claimed, rather than automatically issued. The Mercantile Marine War Medal roll/ card index is at Kew in BT351 on microfische. What did he do when he arrived in London, maybe he missed out on the MMWM but received other WW1 medals.

The Merchant Navy medals had to be claimed, rather than automatically issued. The Mercantile Marine War Medal roll/ card index is at Kew in BT351 on microfische. What did he do when he arrived in London, maybe he missed out on the MMWM but received other WW1 medals.

Thanks to the two people who replied.

This is a new story to me, and I will have to follow up the suggestions given.

His family lived in Kentish London. He had been away for some time and went home to see them. I don't know if this was allowed, or if he jumped ship? I suppose that his entitlement could be changed if he simply cleared off?

After spending some time with his parents, brothers and sisters he returned to Adelaide, as crew on another ship. He enlisted in the 48th Bn AIF in 1916. He was sent to England in 1917.

In April 1939 he was living in Adelaide and wrote a letter to the authorities concerning his medals. He said he had been marching on ANZAC Day and the other veterans told him he deserved to be wearing the early war medals too.