Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

90th Anniversary of the Somme

Dave T

Dear Pals,

I have probably put this in the wrong topic area and I trust a Moderator will move it if so but I thought I would let everyone know in advance of a forthcoming initiative by the Ministry of Defence.

In the next week or so the MOD will be going live with a website where people can order Commerative Maps of the Somme front as it was on the 1 July 1916, the maps are of seven areas -

Hebuterne, Beaumont, le Sars, Ovilliers, Longueval, Meaulte and Maricourt. and cost approx £3.50 each or £20 per set of 7.

I will post details of the site once it is live as hopefully this will save people wasting time logging onto the site address. From there you will be able to view thumbnails of the maps before purchasing.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks for the info regarding the MOD's initiative with the Somme maps for 1/7/16 Dave

I wonder if these will be a copy of an original trench map or one that has been "created" for sale with little or no great detail on them.

Keep us posted Dave

regards Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Tom,

After numerous attempts in trying to access the website without success to view the thumbnails I gave up and took the plunge and ordered the maps. The maps arrived today, they cover some great detail, trench names, landmarks etc and to me are fascinating. They are of A0/A1 size and appear to be copies of the original maps which were issued prior to Somme offensive rather than created for sale and make a great keepsake.

The latest on the website is that it has hit "technical" difficulties and it is not known when they will be rectified! However, the person I spoke to said they are hoping to advertise the maps on WFA website but when this will be is anybody's guess.

I will post more details on the website when known............

Dave

Keep us posted Dave and could you put up a link to the website where they are....hopefully the problems will soon be solved.

have saved it to print later and order them when i have the extra cash, just hope they dont run out of them before the middle of october!!!

Mandy

• 2 weeks later...

Latest news is not good! The website link to the thumbnails is still not working. However, for those lucky enough to live near Kew the maps can be viewed there and can then be ordered through the MOD as apparently, so I have been told, they are cheaper than buying at the archives.

Dave