Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SE5a B170

alex_a

I have a photo of an SE5, no B170. Can anyone id this aircraft for me. I am unable to host the pic myself but will be ahppy to email it to any interested parties.

Regards

Alex. :D

Alex

B170 was built under contract by Martinsyde and was delivered on 20 March 1918. On 2 April it was assigned to No 32 Sqn RAF. Lt P Hooper USAS claimed a Fokker D.VII over Montdidier on 6 June. On 25 June it force landed due to a broken centre wire when flown by Lt C Wilderspin. It was struck off on 10 July and sent to 2 Advanced Salvage Dump that day.

I hope that this helps

Gareth

It'll be a gem because pictures of 32 Sqn SE5as are few and far between, almost as rare as hens' teeth. B170 was delivered to the EF on 20 March 1918, arriving at the Reception Park at Marquise. It was with 2 Air Issues at St Andre aux Bois by 3 April and went to 32 Sqn 9 days later. An American pilot, Lt P Hooper (American rank) was credited with a Fokker VII ooc on 6 June (he was KIA 4 days later) and the machine was damaged in a forced landing by Lt C Wilderspin on the 25th of that month (he was good at crahing 32 Sqn a/c). It must have been severely damaged because it went to 2 ASD at Rang-de-Fliers on 10 July, where it was immediately deleted, with anything salvageable taken for reconstruction

Mick

As usual, you're correct. I took the "Advanced Salvage Dump" direct from Sturtivant and Page's The SE 5 File. It did seem odd, as I'd not encountered the term before, but I bowed to the authors' superior knowledge.

Thanks for putting me right.

Gareth

Alex to post the photo just open a free account at http://photobucket.com/ scan the photo and upload it into photobucket then copy the lower image field and paste it into the reply window like this;

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b213/markparker/100000mark.jpg[/img

I deleted the last bracket ) in the address so it would show you the line instead of the photo which looks like this; which is a scan of a banknote in with my great uncle, Walter G Preston RFC's, WW1 photos;

100000mark.jpg

You can then check how it works with the preview option below.

Thanks MNP for the link, I was looking for a site like this.

Here is the pic. As you can see it looks very staged, but all the same I like it. If anyone can put names to faces that would be great.

No10squadronRFCandSE5a.jpg

A tad on the large side opps!

Alex;)

• 6 years later...

I realize this is years later, but: does anyone know where to find the photo posted by Alex? It is apparently no longer at Photobucket. It is of interest to me, as the Lt. P. Hooper who is mentioned as having flown the plane was my great uncle, and I am interested in any information related to him.

Thanks!

--Marian