Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dirty Bucket Camp

damiangt

I have been looking for some time for information about the camps in the woods between Ypres and Poperinghe where the men rested, trained and played sport. Dirty Bucket is the one I am most interested but there were several adjoining camps in the woods. I understand that men rested in huts, bivouacs and even in hammocks, and boxed, played football and even visited a cinema in one of the huts. Can anyone add to the history of these camps?

I enclose a photo I took several years ago of the entrance to Dirty Bucket camp:

post-12665-1155067480.jpg

Damian,

Can't say much right now, though I have read about these camps. (Can't remember where though.)

As far as I know there is a sign there now, for visitors, telling about the place. Next time I'm there (only 6 km / almost 4 miles from where I live) I'll have a look.)

Aurel

Aurel - I remember reading here that Dirty Bucket Camp was near a village whose names means "Dirty Bucket". I hope this was correct. Can you remind us of the Flemish name of that village?

Tom

Thanks Aurel and Tom!

I think that there might also have been Border camp and Tunneller's camp nearby...

Do those names ring any bells?

Hi Damian

There was a thread about Dirty Bucket Camp some years ago, put Dirty Bucket in search and see what comes up.

Annette

Many thanks Annette! A great help. Sorry to duplicate the thread, but if any new information is out there it would be great to keep it running, especially if anyone knows anything further about the other camps...

Hello,

Dirty Bucket Camp was named after the nearby cabaret 'De Vuile Seule'.

Regards,

Cnock

Dirty Bucket Camp was named after the nearby cabaret 'De Vuile Seule'.

Strange that it wasn't called 'Mucky Bucket' - as with pubs called the Black Swan being known as the 'Mucky Duck'.

Mick

Tom,

Sorry, I had forgotten to subscribe to that Topic, and only re-discovered it right now.

Cnock is right. (Thanks Cnock for helping Tom sooner than I would have done.)

(And "Seule" is our dialect word for standard language "emmer" (bucket)

The name is still marked on modern IGN maps.

By the way, Tom, not really something to drink Duvel out of. ;)

Aurel

I think that there might also have been Border camp and Tunneller's camp nearby...

Do those names ring any bells?

Sorry, Damian, I don't know.

And I don't have a trench map of the area at hand.

If I don't forget ... Next Wednesday (a week !), in the Documentation Centre in Ypres.

Aurel

Living so close to this camp and taking my dog around it most days I decided to find out more about Dirty Bucket and have brought the book "Walking the Salient" by our own Paul Reed, which gives you quite alot of detail on this area and where you can walk. It is lovely countyside and very often see Eagles and Woodpeckers.

The London Regiment were there at the camp in 1917.

Just nearby is the cemetery "Hagle Dump" obviously named after ammunition dump which was fired upon and several men of Royal West Kents buried together in the the cemetery.

But you didn't think it would make an attractive name for a guest house then Liz?

But you didn't think it would make an attractive name for a guest house then Liz?

No Kate, thought it might turn some people off!

Just been reading an article on the London Rifle brigade and how on May 4th until May 8th 1915 they spent time at various places in the woods behind Vlamertinge resting, re-organising and dealing with accumulations of mail.

On May 9th 1915 they moved early in the morning to the grounds of the Chateau at Vlamertinge (which although you cannot go into, it still stands and is an impressive site and you can see from the gate - worth a visit is passing through). Amazing to think they were in these grounds all those years ago.

LizM

• 7 years later...

The 1st Batt. South Wales Borderers trained at Dirty Bucket Camp for the offensive at Goudberg on 10th November 1917.

Al.

Commanding officer's diary rewritten & simplified for posting to forum by Al.pdf

Edited by hal90000
Additional Information

• 1 year later...

Here is an entry from my grandfather's WWI diary. He was a Private First Class in the 30th Division, 105th Field Signal Battalion. Entry dated September 7, 1918.

"We were relieved Sept. 4; we were driven in trucks in a heavy downpour – to a camp on the reserve lines. We were put in the so called Dirty Bucket Camp, which lived up to its name perfectly. The next day all we did was to take a bath and put on clean underwear. The bath was cold and the underwear wasn’t very clean, but both together made us feel pretty good. The following day we marched to Proven and left Belgium by railroad."

• 2 years later...

2/3rd Londons arrived there on 25th August 1917.

43112_3001_0-00599.jpg

• 2 years later...

My Grandfather served in the Royal Engineers 10th Railway company from 1917 until 1919. I have copies of the war dairies for the 10th Railway company. They were at hell fire corner, and spent time at Dirty bucket camp. They spent time at Poperinge too.

Hi 

if you’re over that way try the restaurant called the dirty bucket which is next to where the camp used to be. Not bad at all

59 minutes ago, Edward Foreman said:

My Grandfather served in the Royal Engineers 10th Railway company from 1917 until 1919. I have copies of the war dairies for the 10th Railway company. They were at hell fire corner, and spent time at Dirty bucket camp. They spent time at Poperinge too.

My grandfather Charles Babb was with the 10th Railway company as a Sapper from 31 July 1917 to 26 March 1919.

I could not find a reference to Bucket Camp in the war diaries I have, perhaps you have more detailed ones, just wondering when they were there?

Tony