Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1/7th or 1/8th Lancashire Fusiliers

Guest waltong

I have managed to ascertain that my grandfather served with either the 1/7th or 1/8th LF, joining in Salford. He served in Gallipoli and was present in a battle in which Ghurkas fought, which I think was the 2nd Battle of Kirithia. He later went back to Egypt and then on to the Western Front.

I would like any more specific information on what the 1/7th or 1/8th did whilst on the Peninsular.

Also on returning to France I believe my grandfather transferred? to the MGC. I have a photo of him outside a hut with around 24 other soldiers, all from different regiments. Could this have been a training camp for the MGC?

Any help would be appreciated. (I have tried to attatch the photo, but apparently the file size is too large).

Geoff

Geoff, For a concise, overall view of what 1/7 and 1/8 LF got up to at Gallipoli I suggest you look at Ray Westlake's "British Regiments at Gallipoli". Both battalions were landed on 5 May 1915 and were evacuated on 27 December. In between they had a busy time as part of 42nd (East Lancs) Division. Both Bns in support at the 2nd Battle of Krithia. Casualties during the campaign are recorded as: 1/7 LF 7 Officers, 242 ORs; 1/8 LF 15 officers, 238 ORs. The losses in action and to sickness resulted in temporary amalgamation with other battalions in October 1915.

H2

Have you tried the short biography Bill Kennedy MM, 42nd (East Lancashire) Division in the Great War. He was in 1/4th Lancashire Fusiliers, part of the same division. Hell's Foundations by Geoffrey Moorhouse describes the Fusilier battalions raised around Bury and their part in the Gallipoli campaign. My great uncle Thomas Smethurst served in 1/8th Battalion until wounded at Gallipoli and was then transfered to the MGC as an instructor.