Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

the big read

john w.

Just watched William Hague put his case for Birdsong...

He was on the Somme near Thiepval and was in some underground workings that still survived as they had been dug into the chalk.. where are they please?

John

I was wondering that too!!

I thought it could've been 'anywhere' on the Somme battlefield, as he did also visit Lochnagar, and Beaumont Hamel.

Did you also notice that William Hague also said that the crater he was standing at (which was Lochnagar) was exploded at 7:20, It was Hawthorn Ridge that was exploded at 7:20 - anyway that is me being fussy, I appreciate that he he trying to get across a part of the book!

Yes I thought that too... saw Beaumont Hamel and assumed was talking bout the Hawthorne mine... especially as he said the Germans were in the ravine.

Still no further with the tunnels though

John

The tunnels were Vimy Ridge, and the dug-out was in Thiepval Wood... at least it looked like the one in the wood.

I also heard him say 'Thiepval was known for it's British tea before the war'.... eh?? :blink:

I have never read Birdsong, largely because I am not a fan of Faulks as a writer, so maybe this is in the book?

Yes, Paul , I think the point about English cream teas is featured at one point in the book. Rather an effective description of a train journey made in 1911 or so out from Amiens and through all the place names that were to become by-words for Hell . But as for cream tea - well, poetic licence, I suppose.

I think "Birdsong" is being greatly over-hyped ,although the description of the attack is, I think, a good piece of writing. It is most certainly not in the Top Twenty or so best books ever written- but then neither is similarly elevated "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy". (Which I like a lot by the way).

I think Lochnagar was an rather more obviously telegenic hole than Hawthorn Ridge with its trees - but I think William covered this discrepancy in his commentary. I thought he came across rather well - can't be all bad if he's a Great war buff ! Plenty of time as a retired Party leader to wander the Western front - lucky chap. I wonder if I.D.S will be on the Somme soon !

Was surpised that it is in the big read ... been to Vimy and didnt recognise it.. He did disappear down a hole in the ground though which I assumed was the entrance to the tunnels....

John

I wonder if I.D.S will be on the Somme soon !

Wow, I'd pay good money to see that! Maybe he could take the rest of the politicians with him?

I would just love to see Tony B Liar in the front line somewhere.

It was not one of the publicly accessible tunnels at Vimy, as suggested by several postings above. Please note that the Durand Group do not 'own' any tunnels; they only explore them, as others have done in the past.

As for Mr Hague being a 'Great War buff'... I wouldn't hold your breath. Without wishing to be too cynical, I suspect this has more to do with his agent than any interest in WW1... but am happy to be proved wrong!