Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

25 April 1915: The Inevitable Tragedy

oak

Pals,

I would be very grateful if anyone with access to Denis Winter's "25 April 1915: The Inevitable Tragedy" would advise me please. I checked it on amazon.co.uk and was amazed at the price for a paperback edition. It appears to be priced for the academic market. I may still buy it, but I would to assure myself beforehand that it covers the topics in which I have an interest.

Regards,

Philip

Hi Phillip,

I have a copy. I wouldn't waste your money on it and certainly not if it is highly priced. By the time he wrote it, Denis was deep into his conspiracy theory stage. I met him while he was researching it. Essentially he attempts to show that the initial landing at Anzac Cove occurred exactly where it was planned to occur. He claims that the higher command changed the plans several times and the last change being not long before the landing but they didn't advise the tactical commanders of it.

Anyone who has attempted a night march cross country for an assault on land can tell you the difficulties of navigation at night- it would have been much more difficult at sea where there are no fixed points and particularly against an unlit shore. My own research on the subject clearly shows, yes there were changes during the planing phase but the final orders and plan had the 3rd Brigade coming ashore about a 1000 yards north of Gaba Tepe and south of Anzac Cove. Denis would have us believe that the plan was to put the troops ashore at Ari Burnu, the northern headland of Anzac Cove.

Regards

Crunchy

Philip

If you send your email details through to me via a PM I can provide a scanned copy of the table of contents and preface. I also have a review written by Peter Stanley which was published in the Journal of the Australian War Memorial - Vol. 25 Oct 1984 - which I can send through. Dr Stanley is now the Principal Historian at the AWM. The last paragraph of the review states:

25 April 1915
somewhat restores a reputation badly dented by
Haig's Command
, and his revisionist interpretation of the landing must be taken seriously. But it must be read with care by readers in danger of being dazzleed - and sometimes burnt - by Denis Winter's incandescent advocacy.

I think it is good to read widely to gain an understanding of issues and events. From there you are in a better position to measure the value of information. That's not necessarily a plug for the book, but it does present a case to read it, subject to Dr Stanley's comments.

As for the price being asked, I still have the receipt from my purchase in 1994 - $18.95 AUD. For the amount being asked I would expect a copy in mint condition, signed by the author and a couple of ANZACs. I wonder if the dealer placed the decimal point in the wrong place.

Chris

I think it is good to read widely to gain an understanding of issues and events. From there you are in a better position to measure the value of information. That's not necessarily a plug for the book, but it does present a case to read it, subject to Dr Stanley's comments.

Chris,

I agree.

Phillip

Buy the book by all means, but read it with care in spite of Peter's review. There are others who don't agree with Peter's review. Also get a better price than the one quoted - it did not sell at all well out here so there must be a lot of remainders around. I looked up the AWM online book store site but they don't have a copy.

The book is extremely well documented on its sources and for that it is a valuable source when seeking primary sources at the AWM research centre. The problem is that Denis ignores important documents that don't suppoort his theory, quotes others out of context and makes claims that demonstrate an ignorance of practical military problems and issues. Once you have read it send me a PM;I'd like to hear what you think.

Regards

Crunchy

Thanks Crunchy and Chris,

From your comments, am I correct in presuming that the book only covers the Anzac landing on 25 April 1915? Does it deal with the British landings at all? I am at present researching the landing at Sedh-el-Bahr/V Beach and it was this that prompted my question about Winter's book.

Chris many thanks for your very kind offer of a scanned copy of the table of contents etc. I will await the answer to the question in the previous paragraph in order to establish whether I will ask you to go to the trouble of doing a scan.

Is Denis Winter an Australian?

Regards,

Philip

Phillip,

The book only deals with the landing at Anzac and the 25th April. Denis Winter is an English historian best known for his Death's Men and Haig's Command. He was out here in the early nineties undertakng research at the AWM, I think on a grant from the AWM, and 25th April 1915 was the result of that research.

Regards

Crunchy

Many thanks Crunchy,

Chris, this means that I will not need you to take the time and trouble to scan the information you mentioned. Many thanks for your kind offer.

Cheers Mates,

Philip