Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st/4th Northamptonshire Regiment

Guest crofty

I am researching two brothers, my Great Uncles, who served in the 1st/4th Northamptonshire regiment.

John Crofts Died of his wounds in Egypt in the 15th General Hospital Alexandria. 19/10/1915

Edward Penn Was killed in Gaza 19/04/17

I'm keen to find photos of the brothers and also find out what happened to John, was he wounded in Gallipoli.

Can anyone help

welcome to the forum

Local papers are a great source for finding pictures - both are from Northampton

Ian

Ive found lots of details about E P Crofts - but camera is out of battery life so cant copy it

unless some one else does I ll do it tommorrow if you dont have the details - its in the Roll of Honour book

Edited by Coldstreamer

One smidgen of information I have to hand is that their address was 69 Great Russell Street. An E R Crofts (brother) served with the 2/19th London Regiment

A list of killed and wounded appeared in the Kettering Leader (copy provided for me by Steve Fuller) around October 1915 with the casualties up to 15-10-1915. I can't see him on the list, which is a bit odd, as I would expect him on there...

The Northampton Independent is excellent for recording casualties, most with a picture.

Steve.

A list of killed and wounded appeared in the Kettering Leader (copy provided for me by Steve Fuller) around October 1915 with the casualties up to 15-10-1915. I can't see him on the list, which is a bit odd, as I would expect him on there...

The Northampton Independent is excellent for recording casualties, most with a picture.

Steve.

:lol: beat me to it again! Sorry I have nothing on the Crofts brothers from the Kettering Leader, but (as has been said before) the Northampton paper is the one to check really. Is curious, as it covers to the 15th October, so given transport times from the peninsular to Egypt, perhaps he was wounded right on the cusp of the cut off date for the article? The 14th October seems to have been a realtively heavy day for casualties in the Btn, so maybe he was wounded then?

Have a newspaper article on the Northamptons at the 1st 2 Gaza battles from the leader if you want it? Written by Lt-Col Brown & the Chaplain Cpt Walkley. No mention of them in either of course but let me know your email address if you want a copy as I cannot attach anything to an email from the forum.

Good luck Crofty.

details as promised

post-3871-1155050905.jpg

Thank you all very much for your time, information and advice, I now have lots to look into.

Kate we were unsure whether my Grandfather Ernest Robert actually served, his age at the time would have suggested that he did. I have been scouring the Northamptons for him. He died in 1990 at the fine old age of 92 years and hardly spoke of his brothers or the Great War to us.

Once again thanks

Any other info on 1st/4th Northamptonshire Regiment and now the 2/19th London Regiment would be gratefully received.

Hello again Crofty

You will need to take a look at the Medal Index cards to find more details, but Ernest would have served with the 60th Division, who were very well travelled. See their potted history on the Long Long Trail by clicking here

http://www.1914-1918.net/60div.htm

By the way, Charles Fair is the resident 19th Londons expert.

• 1 month later...
One smidgen of information I have to hand is that their address was 69 Great Russell Street. An E R Crofts (brother) served with the 2/19th London Regiment

I missed this thread first time round - must have been whilst I was away. Kate, you are tantalising me. I cannot find an ER Crofts with the 19th - not in the medal rolls nor in my incomplete database. He is therefore unlikely to have served overseas with the 19th. I do have a few men who transferred from the 19th to the Northants or vv.

The best I can do is:

CROFT, Ernest, Pte 616689

enlisted: 07/05/1918

discharged: age 18 on 30/08/1918, Sick

Silver War Badge No: 480084

No overseas service

Could this be him? Any further details you or Crofty can add would be helpful.

Charles