Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Gen Sir Edwrd Hutton

auchonvillerssomme

Found this in an old book i bought, being used as a bookmark. The back tells a familiar story.

I got the train to wendover and I had not far to walk.

I have not been long in getting my guard and I am doing it now.

It is 2 oclock in the morning and I'm on til 6.

Yours truly H miller

Mick

would be better adding the picture i suppose

Who's Who:

HUTTON, Lt-Gen. Sir; Edward (Thomas Henry) (b. Torquay, 6 December 1848 - d. August 1923)

KCB 1912 (CB 1894); KCMG 1900; DL; retired; Colonel Commandant The King's Royal Rifle Corps; Hon. Colonel 6th Light Horse (NSW Northern Rivers Lancers), and 15th Light Horse (NSW Mounted Rifles), and 6th Reserve Battalion, King's Royal Rifle Corps;

born Torquay, 6 December 1848; son of Edward Thomas Hutton, Beverley, Yorks; married 1889, Eleanor, only daughter of Lord Charles Paulet, and granddaughter of 13th Marquess of Winchester. Education: Eton. Work: Joined 60th Rifles 1867; Col, 1892; Maj.-Gen. (temporary), NSW, 1893-1896; Canada, 1898-1900; South Africa, 1900; Lt-Gen. 1907; served Zulu War, 1879; battle of Gingihlovo (despatches, medal); Boer War, with Mounted Infantry, 1881; Egyptian War, 1882; Mil. Sec., and in command of Mounted Infantry, including the reconnaissance in force, 5 August, and other operations at Alexandria; battle of Tel-el-Kebir (horse killed, despatches, Brevet Major, medal and star); Nile Expedition, 1884-1885, in command of Mounted Infantry; also on the staff; raised and commanded Mounted Infantry at Aldershot, 1888-1892; ADC to the Sovereign, 1892-1901; commanded the Military Forces, NSW, 1893-1896; president Military Conferences in Australia, 1896; Assistant Adjutant-General, Ireland, 1896-1898; Gen. in Command of the Dominion Militia, 1898-1900; commanded the Mounted Troops, other than Cavalry, on the flank of Lord Roberts's advance, and subsequently an independent column in the operations in the Eastern Transvaal (despatches, medal and 5 clasps); commanded and organised the Military Forces of Australia, 1901-1904; Gen. of Administration Eastern Command and commanding 3rd Division, 1905-1906; organised and commanded 21st Division, 3rd Army, 1914-1915. 2nd Class Japanese Order of the Rising Sun. Publications: Brief History of the KRRC; pamphlets upon military and other questions. Recreations: cricket, shooting, hunting. Address: Fox Hills, Chertsey. Telegraphic Address: Longcross. Telephone: Long Cross 11. Clubs: United Service.

© A&C Black Publishers Ltd 2006

APA | MLA | Chicago : Citing this entry

HUTTON, Lt-Gen. Sir; Edward (Thomas Henry) (b. Torquay, 6 December 1848 - d. August 1923). Who's Who 2006 and Who Was Who 1897-2005 (2005). Retrieved 07 August 2006, from xreferplus. http://www.xreferplus.com/entry/5374536

Armoursergeant may well be able to add some more.

Steve.

Thank you Steve. you just saved me searching.

Good, bad or indiferent general?

mick

HUTTON, Lieut.-Gen. Sir Edward

K.C.B., cr. 1912; K.C.M.G., cr. 1900; D.L.; retired; Colonel Commandant The Kings Royal Rifle Corps; Hon. Colonel 6th Light Horse (N.S.W. Northern Rivers Lancers), and 15th Light Horse (N.S.W. Mounted Rifles), and 6th Reserve Batt. K.R.R.C. 2nd Class Japanese Order of the Rising Sun; Born. Torquay, 6 Dec. 1848; Son of Edward Thomas Hutton, Beverley, Yorks; Married Eleanor, oldest daughter of Lord Charles Paulet, and godson of 13th Marquess of Winchester, 1899. Educated Eton. Joined 60th Rifles 1867; Colonel 1892; Major-General (Temporary), N.S. Wales, 1893-96; Canada 1898-1900; South Africa 1900; Lieutenant-General 1907; served Zulu War, 1879; Battle of Gingihlovo (desp., medal); Boer War with Mounted Infantry, 1881; Egptian War, 1882;Military Secretary, and in command of Mounted Infantry, including the reconnaissance in force, 5 Aug., and ohther operations at Alexandria; Battle of Tel-el-Kebir (horse killed, despatches, Brevet-Major, medal and star); Nile Expedition, 1884-85, in command of Mounted Infantry; also of the staff; raised and commanded Mounted Infantry at Aldershot, 1888-92; A.D.C. to the Sovereign, 1892-1901; Commanded the Military Forces, N.S. Wales, 1893-96; President Military Conferences in Australia, 1896; Assistant Adjutant-General, Ireland 1896-98; General in command of the Dominion Militia, 1898-1900; commanded the mounted troops, other than Cavalry, on the flank of Lord Robert's advance, and subsequently an independent column in the operations in the Eastern Transvaal (despatches, medal and 5 clasps); commanded and organised the Military Forces of Australia, 1901-4; General of Administration Eastern Command and commanded 3rd Division, 1905-6; organised and commanded 21st Division, 3rd Army, 1914-15.

Publivcations: Brief History of the K.R.R.C.; Pamphlets upon military and other questions.

Recreations: Cricket, shooting, hunting. Address: Fox Hills, Chertsey.

Andy

His obituary from the Times 6-8-1923

Hutton.jpg

As far as Generalship is concerned, Armoursergeant is most likley to know as he has researched 21st Division (though Edward Hutton did not command them for long), but I'm sure he'll pop in.

Steve.

Pop!

Hello,

Good picture that, I have to say I can not add much if anything to this man. The potted bio I have of him is littler than the ones posted here and I have yet to add from the obit posted above that I also have.

As Steve said he was not in charge to long and was at the time a Lt-Gen. so over the command structure and also at a fair age to command a division. I get the feeling that his replacement due to illness is a little bit of a lie and that his age and poss ability told against him.

The above bios etc show he certainly got around and I think South Africa was his time.

As I say nice picture, any chance I can use it on my site :wub:

regards

Arm

There certainly seems to be a theme of old cavalry commanders not really adapting too well to the new warfare.

Then again I don't think any commander would have relished the Division's situation later in the year at Loos.

Steve.

Steve,

Dont get me going on the use of the resereve at Loos. According to accounts Forstier-Walker was seen in the front area, directing and apparently on occasions collecting troops together to hold positions. Somehow I do not see Hutton doing, or being able to do, this sort of thing and I wonder how well 21st would have done. FW had atleast been in F&F in 1914 and seen first hand how the fighting was going.

regards

Arm

As I say nice picture, any chance I can use it on my site :wub:

regards

Arm

Feel free.

Mick

Amongst other things, Hutton is credited with being the first Commander-in-Chief, Australian Military Forces after Federation in 1901, and with having accepted the design for the 'Rising Sun' badge for the Australian Army.

He played a large role in early Australian military history, but is surprisingly not well known.

Bob

Feel free.

Mick

thanks very much

Arm

• 7 years later...

Mick,

I have a picture of Hutton on his horse, I assume this is the picture referred to in this thread. The links to it do not work any more.

If so I want to update my website to say who the pic is credited too and also I have had a request from a gentleman in Australia to use the image in a book he is publishing and I dont want to give permission from my website as its not my image to give.

Sloppy paperwork, I normally credit photos and have not done so in this case, Apologies.

Any help appreciated.

Rgds

Andy

• 4 years later...

Does anyone know who his ADC was in South Africa?  

15 minutes ago, Gareth Davies said:

Does anyone know who his ADC was in South Africa?  

Possibly James Macarthur-Onslow at some stage? Also possibly Hercules Arthur Temple Robinson, 2nd Baron Rosmead, at another stage?

Thanks IPT.  Are you able to add any dates of their tenures?  Curly (Hutton's nickname) clearly didn't think very much of whomever it was. 

58 minutes ago, Gareth Davies said:

Thanks IPT.  Are you able to add any dates of their tenures?  Curly (Hutton's nickname) clearly didn't think very much of whomever it was. 

Various sources state that Macarthur-Onslow was Hutton's ADC between June and October 1900.  Robinson was apparently 1900-1901 but I haven't got dates i'm afraid.

Thank you again, that's very helpful. 

Would either qualify for the description "son of a political magnate"?

33 minutes ago, Gareth Davies said:

Would either qualify for the description "son of a political magnate"?

Yes- Robinson- the son of Sir Hercules Robinson, 1st Lord Rosmead. Robinson was a politically very astute colonial governor and was, effectively, the British man on the spot as Governor of the Cape from the immediate aftermath of Majuba in 1881 up to the Jameson Raid. He represented British imperial power and was the notional control over Cecil Rhodes as Governor, when Rhodes was Premier of the Cape.  If you are aware from the Great War of the character and intellect of Lord Milner, then bear in mind that Robinson Sr. was his predcessor

Thank you.