Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Princess Mary bullet pencil ?

noe

My grandad gave me a princess mary tin a while ago, he didn't know where he got it from judt that he'd had it since he was a kid 1920's. Then a while ago I bought a lee enfield, my grandad showed interest and said he has a spent 303 cartridge indoors, inwhich he found and gave to me. It had a stirling silver top made for it. Then I found out throught the internet, it looks like a princess mary Bullet pencil ?

Maybe one of the contents of the tin he gave me ? Could anyone tell me if this is one of the Princess Mary bullet pencils ?

post-8-1067084591.jpg

Yes it is, it would have come pushed through a piece of card shaped to fit the tin.

Cheers.

John.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Gary,

Better for someone to know what they have for:

a. Insurance purposes

b. To stop someone mugging them off if they go to sell it!

Memorabilia that belongs to your family is far too precious to let go of - I have a couple of MMs to exchange for my great-uncles' pair and trio when I find who has them.

I know how some dealers work mate :angry:

Ian

Sadly there is no pencil inside. Ive had it for a while, but only found out today what it was. My grandad didn't even know what the tin was he gave me, till I told him. I shall show him a photo of some of the other contents the tin may of come with, to see if he has any others.

Apologies Noe and Ian. My posting was frivolous and, taken seriously, inappropriate. I've deleted it as it added nothing to the thread.

Gary

That's a nice image. I have read pal's posts about bullet pencils in the past but have never seen one.

What was the thinking behind a bullet pencil? Were they well received by troops who after all had a surfeit of bullets, both incoming and outgoing, and knew only too well what a bullet could do? Was the pencil just a nicer version of something the men were fashioning for themselves? Was there a sort of gallows humour attached to the idea?

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Unfortunately there are a lot of fakes on the market - this is one item that you should eyeball in the flesh before spending your dollars - IMHO

Ian <_<