Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Maitland and Prickett

Hambo

I am researching a local school memorial and am interested if anyone on the forum knows the circumstances of their deaths

They are

Lt A.J.Maitland aged 18 RFC General List died 22.9.17

and Capt L Prickett aged 28 RFC formerly 71st HB RGA

Both are buried at home which suggests flying accidents but I wondered if anyone knows what happened to them or any details of their service

Many thanks Hambo

Hambo

2Lt A J Maitland, of No 40 Training Squadron RFC, was killed while flying Sopwith Camel B6292 on 22 September 1917. The aeroplane crashed after it went into a spinning nose dive.

Captain Lancelot Prickett, formerly Royal Garrison Artillery, was killed while flying Morane L 5059 on 2 June 1916.

I hope that this helps.

Gareth

Gareth

Thanks very much reliable as ever! Can I assume Prickett was also a training accident? Do you happen to know his squadron as well?

Thanks Hambo

I have the note that 5059 was a MF se.11 'Shorthorn', which would make sense. Morane Type Ls were a scare commodity with the RFC at home.

Have just checked a bit further. 5059 was a Shorthorn (SFA MF620) collected from Paris for 16 Sqn 25 September 1915 and fitted with 80-hp Renault 48320/WD443. It left 16 Sqn for St Omer 30 October 1915 and was flown to England by Capt BC Hucks on 3 November. By February 1916 it was with 3 Reserve Squadron at Shoreham. I can't take the machine's history any further, but it would be unlikely that it moved far, if at all, from Shoreham.

I think Dolphin's fallen into the trap of relying solely on Chris Hobson's book, which does give 5059 as a Morane. Chris possibly looked at the surrounding serials - 5055-5058 and 5060-5061 were Morane Type Ls with 80-hp Le Rhones.

Thanks to you both

A couple more quick questions, where would 40 training squadron have been based and what was the "General List"? it's an expression I've seen before

Hambo

Mick is correct, I did rely too much on Airmen Died. Had I also looked in British Military Aircraft Serials, I would have seen that it was a Farman. Mea culpa.

No 40 Training Squadron was based at Croydon. I think that in the case of the RFC, the General List can be described as including those officers who had commissions, but not in a specific regiment, ie they were commissioned while serving in the RFC but were not regular soldiers in that Corps.

Regards

Gareth

Thanks Gareth that explains it nicely. Given his age I suppose he went straight into the RFC

Incidently my Grandfather trained at Shoreham on Shorthorns and Longhorns and remembers that those converting onto Camels had a very high accident rate in training because he said they were very unforgiving and remarked that he attended a number of funerals of those who went that route. If I remember he went onto SE5s which he claimed were more forgiving, which maybe correct as I'm here to tell the tale!

Thanks to you both

Hambo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hambo

May I have any info on your Grandfather for the Shoreham Airport Archive?

Tim