Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

OPERATION MICHAEL - 1st Battle of the Somme

Guest ROBERTTYKE

Guest ROBERTTYKE

I am a new user & very impressed by the site. I am researching my grandfather L/Cpl J H Lane who died in this battle. I have seen different records recording his death as 20th or 25th March 1918. In the day-by-day account of the battle only the 21st March opens - is that an error or are there no descriptions for the other days?

As the battle started on 21st, if he died on the 2oth would that have been by overnight shellfire? His body was not recovered.

Thanks

Robert

Hi Robert and welcome to the forum,

As you probably know, the CWGC site lists his death as the 20th. Although battles had a start date, there was always shelling going on. Sometimes gas, sometimes high explosive, sometimes shrapnel. Casulaties were also caused by sniping or indirect machine-gun fire. There are so many ways a soldier could die - given the date of death and the confusion and alarm caused by the great German offensive a day later, you may have to resign yourself to the fact that you will never know just exactly how your grandfather died.

Ian

Hello again,

Just a postscript - I checked Martin Middlebrook's comprehensive 'The Kaiser's Battle' (1978) for mention of the K.O.Y.L.I. and there isn't one. How sure are you that your Grandad was involved in the 'Kaiserschlacht'?

Ian

Robert

As you probably know, 2/4th KOYLI formed part of the 187th (2/3 West Riding) Brigade in the 62nd (2nd West Riding) Division.

The nearest major battle for this Division at the time was the Battle of Bapaume - 24 to 25 March - where it was part of 4th Corp, 3rd Army.

The 62nd joined the northern part of the front line north-east of Beaumont and just south of Bapaume on 25 March, strengthening the area held by 42nd Division. (see map below taken from William Moore's book See How They Ran: the British Retreat of 1918).

As Ian says, regular shelling and casualties in the front line and rear areas occurred. The main barrage for operation St Michael opened at 0440 on 21 March with gas and high explosives on the rear areas - up to four miles behind the British front line. The major barrage on the front line area commenced at 0710. The climax came at 0930 with a massive barrage of front line, intermediate and rear areas.

Prior to 21 March there was no intense bombardment of the British lines and rear areas. German batteries fired rounds to give a sense of normal daily activity. Also, Colonel Bruchmuller, the German artillery expert, used a system of mathematical prediction of range and bearing rather than registration shoots on targets. This reduced the amount of shelling from the German batteries.

There are numerous scenarios to explore. Presuming the 2/4th KOYLI was in range of German guns, your grandfather may have been killed by random shelling on 20 March. On 25th March, the 62nd Division and presumably 2/4th KOYLI were in the front line and therefore in the thick of it. A clearer picture may appear if the war diary for the 2/4th and the 62nd Division can be accessed.

Chris

post-5991-1154837311.jpg

Que?

Keep up! Robert was asking why the day by day account of the (on the Long Long Trail site) battle does not go past 21st March. I haven't written 22 March and onwards yet.

Right, sorry.

Just off to eat some worms if that's OK with you........ :(

SDGW also says 20th, assuming he's L/Cpl 47341 Joseph Henry Lane of the 2/4th KOYLI. Looking like a trench casualty but, as mentioned before, I would suggest looking for someone who has the War Diary for that date to see if theres any mention of casualties for the day. Long shot, but you never know ...