Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Road to the Somme

Ferguson73uk

Last evening I attended a superb talk on the 36th Ulster Div. ,given by Charles Griffiths, at the South Wales branch of the WFA. Charles told me that the best book to read on the Division was 'The Road to the Somme' by Phillip Orr. Upon checking the price on Amazon, guess what. It seems to have joined the ranks of 'Passchendaele the day-by-day account' and 'Up To Mametz' in being of extortionate price because it's out of print! Grrrrrr.

Looks like I'll have to scour the local secondhand bookshops again, but it's really annoying that some of the best reads are out of print!

Still, at least the footie team won...............

Jonathan

Last evening I attended a superb talk on the 36th Ulster Div. ,given by Charles Griffiths, at the South Wales branch of the WFA. Charles told me that the best book to read on the Division was 'The Road to the Somme' by Phillip Orr. Upon checking the price on Amazon, guess what. It seems to have joined the ranks of 'Passchendaele the day-by-day account' and 'Up To Mametz' in being of extortionate price because it's out of print! Grrrrrr.

Looks like I'll have to scour the local secondhand bookshops again, but it's really annoying that some of the best reads are out of print!

Still, at least the footie team won...............

Jonathan

Addall.com list a few copies but it is expensive.

Garth

• 2 weeks later...

Johnathan,

Large sections of Philip's book has been edited and used on my website belfastsomme.com

This will give you an insight into the book and im sure you'll have no problems parting with your cash for a copy after seeing just what it has to offer :D