Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th Essex - NCO's - photogaphs, information etc

JOSTURM

Looking for back up information on Sgt GFW Berry's MM award for Hangard Wood action on 26th April.

If anyone has photo's of 10th Essex, please advise.

Peter :rolleyes:

Hello

I know that you are looking for something else but... this plaque is at hangard Wood edge since 26th April 2006. Please let me know if you will find anything regarding this place.

2a08beeb04045e6d841257d686efde6e.jpg

Hi Peter,

Not much, but here it is:

"It is difficult for any account of the battle of April 26th to do it proper justice. And perhaps this story is peculiarly inadequate, for it was one of those days of ill-chance when the vagaries of Fate put the main leaders early hors de combat, and split the fighting into the independent efforts of individuals and small groups, led as best they might be at the moment. Greenaway, new-joined the previous day, did cool and excellent work, until he was swept into the stream of casualties later on in the afternoon. C.S.M. Little and Sergeant Berry were gallant mainstays when no Essex officers were left in the Wood."

Lt-Col. T.M. Banks, D.S.O., M.VC. and Captain R.A. Chell, D.S.O., M.C., With the 10th Essex in France, pages 275 & 276, 1924. Reprint by the Naval & Military Press.

There are a lot of sketches and some photographs of the 10th Essex in this book. Also in John Wm. Burrows, Essex Units in the War 1914-1919, Service Battalions The Essex Regiemnt,1935, partly the same.

Cheers,

Michael

Hi Peter,

"It is difficult for any account of the battle of April 26th to do it proper justice. And perhaps this story is peculiarly inadequate, for it was one of those days of ill-chance when the vagaries of Fate put the main leaders early hors de combat, and split the fighting into the independent efforts of individuals and small groups, led as best they might be at the moment. Greenaway, new-joined the previous day, did cool and excellent work, until he was swept into the stream of casualties later on in the afternoon. C.S.M. Little and Sergeant Berry were gallant mainstays when no Essex officers were left in the Wood."

Lt-Col. T.M. Banks, D.S.O., M.VC. and Captain R.A. Chell, D.S.O., M.C., With the 10th Essex in France, pages 275 & 276, 1924. Reprint by the Naval & Military Press.

There are a lot of sketches and some photographs of the 10th Essex in this book. Also in John Wm. Burrows, Essex Units in the War 1914-1919, Service Battalions The Essex Regiemnt,1935, partly the same.

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks Michael for this.

Peter

Hello

I know that you are looking for something else but... this plaque is at hangard Wood edge since 26th April 2006. Please let me know if you will find anything regarding this place.

2a08beeb04045e6d841257d686efde6e.jpg

Keep reading this thread and you may find out more about Hangard Wood. What a great memorial to a boy of 18. Have you researched him or is he a relative ?

Peter

Hello Marc,

The plaque at the edge of Hangard wood you ask of was placed there by myself. It was paced there in honour of my Great Uncle Leonard Barton Haymes who at the age of 18 lost his life in the attack on Bois de Hangard by the Essex Regiment on 26th April 1918. He went missing that day and the plaque is a tribute to him from his living relatives who until i researched his death knew nothing about the place he lost his life.

Thankyou for your PM, I will reply to you directly with the full details and a photograph of him.

Best regards

Gordon j Haymes

• 1 year later...

Hi I am new to this Forum. I am C.S.M. Little's grand daughter. Unfortunately he died before I was born. I am trying to research the family tree, and working with my father and mother am trying to find out more about Grandads time in the war. We went to the National Archives but his war records are amongst the burnt records so we got nowhere. I wonder if anyone can give me any suggestions or information on my grandfather.

Hi Peter,

Cheers,

Michael

Hi

I have a photo and his obituary from the East Anglian Regiment Journal in 1960. Enlisted 7th September 1914 into 10th Essex won MM and was mentioned in despatches. Commissioned 1919 at Catterick . In 1938 joined Emergency Reserve. Recalled 1940 to the 7th Home Defence Battalion of the Essex. Joined the RAF Regiment on its formation and was its first adjutant. Demobbed 1945 as Flight Lieutenant. Served 35 years with Messrs George Newnes until his retirement in 1959. Will upload photo when I can work out the compression thing.

Best I can do tonight!

Regards

Owen