Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Void

Guest mruk

I'd have thought you have to assume a family connection of some sort - what with them having been born in Wiston and only being separated by 7 service numbers and serving in the same battalion.

You'd probbaly need to search the 1901 Census to determine the exact family connection

Guest geoff501
You'd probbaly need to search the 1901 Census to determine the exact family connection

Have found:

Albert Jackson, age 16, b: Wiston, CP: Cliffe, Wheelwright apprentice,

Fred Jackson, age 6 b: Wistow CP: Hunslet

Seem to be the only matches thrown up as born Wistow, looks like different dwellings at least.

There is a bug on the new 1901 search form; the 'Next->' button takes you back to the search page, rather than the next page of results!

Hi Dave.

Long shot this, but this could be your Hunslet man.

Commemorated on the recently renovated Dewsbury Road War Cross, next to The Junction Public House, Hunslet.

Regards, Chris.

post-47-1154953820.jpg

Dave

You have to go back to the 1891 Census to prove a potential link, Albert and Fred(eric) were brothers, aged 6 & 2 (sons of George & Mary Jackson) living at West End Lane, Wistow.

As you've already found, by the 1901 Census, Albert Jackson had moved out of the family home and was an Apprentice in Cliffe.

Frederic however was still living at home, this time at Church Hill, Wistow.

Just for the record, the Fred Jackson, found living at 63. Sussex Ave, Hunslet was the son of William Henry & Elizabeth Jackson.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Can it be said with any certainty, then, that Fred and Albert Jackson were brothers killed on the same day?

It looks highly plausible but cannot be stated with 100% certainty.

There are three Jacksons (A. F. & B. Jackson) shown as being on the Wistow war memorial according to the channel4/lost generation website Here.

A search of a contemporary local newspaper should be able to prove it one way or the other.

Steve

Thanks Steve,

I was thinking of local newspapers when I posted my reply, and I noticed that Leeds Central Library keep a stock of Harrogate-Selby-York papers on microfiche. Thanks for prompting me, and providing the link to the Channel 4 website. I'll pop into the library in the next few days.

Kind Regards,

Dave

I'm looking for a connection between two other lads, perhaps cousins, who were also killed serving with the 10th West Yorks [three months apart]. If I get stuck can I give a yell?

Sure, no problem. I like a challenge :unsure:

Let us know how you get on with the local newpapers.

Steve

Just to add to this thread again.

In my research into casualties sustained by the 15th Battalion, West Yorkshire Regiment at Gavrelle, 1917, found another Jackson listed on the war memorial at Wistow, name of Bertie.

Interesting, as the memorial is listed in chronological order, panel wise. Bertie is listed under the 1918 panel.

Even war memorials can be wrong!

Regards, Chris.