Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

M.M and bar and bar and bar

Guest KevinEndon

Guest KevinEndon

Could a pal please tell me who the hero was who won the MM and bar and bar and bar again please.

Recipients of the medal, which was silver and circular of 36mm in diameter and which featured the head of the monarch on the front, were allowed to list the letters 'MM' after their name. As many as 115,600 were awarded during the First World War, along with 5,796 first bars, 180 second bars and 1 third bar. A further 15,000 Military Medals were awarded during the Second World War.

Taken from.

http://www.firstworldwar.com/atoz/militarymedal.htm

TY Kevin

I don't know the answer, but I thought (for some reason) I was told once that he was an Aussie. I could be wrong.

The 3rd Bar to the MM was awarded to:~ E.A.Corey 55th Australian Infantry LG 17th June 1919

4 MC Winners also won 3rd Bars to their awards:~

Captn.P.Bentley,5th KOYLI~TF

Lieut.H.A.Gilkes 21s Bn London Rgt,TF~these 3 LG 1/02/1919

T/Captn.C.G.Timms RAMC

A/Captn.F.V.Wallington RFA~LG 16/09/1918

Interesting he was a stretcher-bearer, Wasn't Coltman (VC, DCM, MM and various Bars) also one?

Ive often wondered how such a brave person who gets several bars doesnt get another medal - 4 mms - youd think one act was worthy of a dcm

Guest KevinEndon
Interesting he was a stretcher-bearer, Wasn't Coltman (VC, DCM, MM and various Bars) also one?

He was indeed. L/Cpl Coltman won the V.C. DCM & BAR. MM & BAR.

In what order did Coltman get his decorations?

cheers PP

Ive often wondered how such a brave person who gets several bars doesnt get another medal - 4 mms - youd think one act was worthy of a dcm

If you compare this man's treatment with that of Capt Albert Jacka, I wonder if it was "improper" to award too many high ranking awards to the Colonials

Not sure - they certainly seemed to award a lot of VCs to Aussies, Canadian and NZ troops in the last year of the war.

Not sure - they certainly seemed to award a lot of VCs to Aussies, Canadian and NZ troops in the last year of the war.

I agree-but most of these were posthumous

And they did do a fair old chunk of the fighting.....