Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anyone interpret this - 2nd Royal Warwickshire

Guest GDONOHOE

Guest GDONOHOE

post-1-1154673236.gif

This is my GG's medal card. (Well I assume it is as the name matches and he is the only B.G. Gough and the regiment and rank seem to match too.)

I can see he was Killed in Action and we knew that already. Is there any more information on this that you experts can interpret. I am asuming he got two medals, am I right in assuming these are Victory and British Star?

We have a letter home from hime were he complains about the solitary blanket issued and tells his wife how he got drunk on the way to their first barracks (either at Warwick or later the IOW?)

I would be very grateful for any help anyone can give.

Thanks in anticipation.

Grant Donohoe

hello

This chap was from Birmingham (Benjamin George Gough) - is that your relative ?

and is also due a 1914 star - plus British war and victory medal

Ian

Grant, the box top right shows entitlement to the 1914 Star as well as the others (and it gives the references to the medal rolls that is he listed in). The note "Clasp" indicates entitlement to that too. He landed in France on 12 September - which tells me he was with a reinforcement draft heading to join 1st Battalion, which was already in the field. 2nd Bn did not arrive until October.

Guest GDONOHOE

Thanks to you both that's a big help. Appreciate your input.

Coldstreamer, He was from Birmingham or thereabouts. Probably warwickshire.

How did you know?

I was told he was in the 2nd royal warwickshire regiment but assumed that was a misnomer for 2nd battalion of the RWR. Chris, why would he not have been heading to join any other batallion than the 1st?

And I assume this early in the War he was a volunteer?

Now I guess I have to try and track the movements of the 1st batallion :-)

2nd Battalion landed in England the same day that your man went to France. They had been ordered back from garrison in Malta, and eventually went to the Western Front as part of 7th Division, landing in early October 1914.

There were no other Warwicks units in France on 12 September 1914 other than 1st Bn, hence my assumption that is where he is going.

He is almost certainly not a wartime volunteer (much too early) but could have been a serving regular or a recalled reservist.

You can track 1st Bn to some extent by reading this page: http://www.1914-1918.net/4div.htm

I see from his CWGC record (http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=931397) that he died during the Second Battle of Ypres, on 25 April 1915.

Here are his details from the National Roll of the Great War; Birmingham.

John.

GOUGH, B, Private, Royal Warwickshire Regt.

He was called up from the Reserve in August 1914, and shortly afterwards was drafted to France. In this theatre of war he took part in the battles of the Marne, the Aisne, Ypres, La Basse, and Neuve Chapelle, and was killed in action on the 25th April 1915. He was entitled to the 1914 Star, and the General service and Victory medals.

2/38, Adelaide Street, Highgate Birmingham.

Thanks to you both that's a big help. Appreciate your input.

Coldstreamer, He was from Birmingham or thereabouts. Probably warwickshire.

How did you know?

Hello

There is a record called "Soldiers died" - both on CD and paper format - it shows details of place of birth, enlisted and lived

Ian

Guest GDONOHOE

Guys thanks a lot, it is definitely him as we know Agnes remarried a guy called Hughes (who died when he fell off a ladder)

Any way you can find an................

Edward Donohoe reports have it he was at Gallipoli and was invalided out , he has a medal of some kind. Married to a Maria Donohoe (nee)Allen Trouble is I don't know what regiment he was in, came from either Manchester where he was born or may have moved to the Tamworth area by 1914 (Bodymore Heath)

He survived the war but later drowned in the Birmingham Fazeley canal, some say murdered - pushed in after a fight, some say got drunk and banged his head on a low bridge.

Hi Grant

Here are the numbers for the medal rolls at the National Archives, BWM & VM= WO329/744. The Star 1914= WO329/744.

Grant, I am researching my wife's McVittie family which has a connection to a Donohoe family. Do you have any Portsmouth connections?

John

Guest GDONOHOE
Hi Grant

Here are the numbers for the medal rolls at the National Archives, BWM & VM= WO329/744. The Star 1914= WO329/744.

Thanks, is that for Benjamin Gough I presume?

How did you find these out (still learning you see :-) )

What do I do with them, is that for if I visit to look up details?

Guest GDONOHOE
Grant, I am researching my wife's McVittie family which has a connection to a Donohoe family. Do you have any Portsmouth connections?

John

Not that I know of, we are a Midlands family that came over from Ireland about 1880 via Manchester where GGG and GG worked on the Manchester shipping canal. Then moved to Bodymoor Heath around Tamworth then on to Solihull where the last in a long long line of dirt poor Irish navvies and labourers finally turned the muck into brass and became wealthy and paid for me to have a private education :-p

Grant.

Hi Grant

Thy are the files you orders at the National Archives for the medal rolls for your G/F, You also need to check for his service record in WO363-WO364. Then get a copy of his unit war diaries, all at the National Archives. Cheers Roy

Guest GDONOHOE
Hi Grant

Thy are the files you orders at the National Archives for the medal rolls for your G/F, You also need to check for his service record in WO363-WO364. Then get a copy of his unit war diaries, all at the National Archives. Cheers Roy

cheers, some of his unit war diaries are online and I downloaded March 1915 last night. Interesting reading, at one point there was an alert that they could hear a drilling machine tunneling towards their lines, there was much relief when it turned out to be a Bullfrog. B)

• 4 months later...

Just found this. The replies did not use Soldiers Died info directly. Was 1st Bn RWR Born Bham. Enlisted Bham. Killed in action as a private 25.4.1915 (a disatrous day for the bn). 9965