Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt C.H. Arnison, RAF

David Seymour

Lt C.H. Arnison flew Bristol F2Bs with 62 Squadron RAF on the Western Front. Does anyone know anything about him?

Many thanks,

David

Lieutenant Charles Henry Arnison was commissioned into the RFC in September 1917 and flew Bristol F.2Bs with No 62 Sqn. Flying Bristol C4859, with Lt Samuel Parry of Aberdare, Glamorgan, as his observer, Lt Arnison was credited with victories on 12 April 1918 (Albatros D.V), two on 21 April (both Pfalz D.III), three on 3 May (all Albatros D.V); Lt Parry was killed in action on 3 May. With Lt H E Merritt as observer, he was credited with two victories on 9 May (both Pfalz D.III). On 15 May he claimed his ninth, and last victory with Lt C D Wells as observer (an unidentified C type).

On 16 May Lts Arnison and Wells were shot down by Ltn Hans Kirchstein of Jasta 6 (the 6th of Kirchstein's eventual 27 victories). Arnison crashed C4859 in Allied territory and pulled West clear of the wreck, but the observer had been killed. Arnison was wounded in the action and did not fly in action again.

Ltn Kirchstein was killed in a flying accident with Ltn Johannes Markgraf in a Hannover CL.II on 6 July 1918.

Dolphin,

Brilliant info, especially about Arnison dragging Wells clear of the aircraft. It is just such detail as this which helps bring the whole story to life for my pupils. Where did you get such detailed material? Do you have similar details for my two Old Boys? This is what I have so far (apart from what Pals have recently posted), from CWGC and School Archives:

SURNAME: Melbourne

C/NAMES: Arthur R.

DOB: 5/99

UNIT: 80 Sqn. RAF

DATE OF DEATH: 14/6/18

MEMORIAL: Arras Flying Services Memorial

PARENT: R.E. Melbourne, Methwold, Norfolk

SURNAME: Wells

C/NAMES: Charles D.

DOB: 13/1/97

UNIT: 62 Sqn. RAF

DATE OF DEATH: 16/5/18

MEMORIAL: Corbie Communal Cemetery Extension, Somme, France

PARENTS: son of Charles Herbert and Anna Wells, of Manor House, Hempstead, Norfolk.

ADDITIONAL: Military Cross and Mentioned in Despatches. Obtained his commission in the 7th Bn., Royal Lancashire Regt., 1914, transf. To RAF, 1918

Very many thanks for your interest in this project.

Regards,

David

Dolphin,

Another thought. Do you know what type Kirchstein was flying when he shot down Arnison and Wells?

Many thanks,

David

David

Ltn Kirchstein would have been flying a Fokker D.VII at the time of the combat with Lt Arnison. Jasta 6's aircraft were marked with black and white chordwise stripes on the tails and diagonal stripes in the same colours on the nose. There's a potted biography and a small photo of Kirchstein, plus colour drawings of a couple of Jasta 6 aircraft, in the recent Osprey publication 'Fokker D.VII Aces of World War I - Part 1' by Norman Franks and Greg van Wyngarden.

I hope this helps.

Dolphin