Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

What was Gordon getting at?

Jim Strawbridge

My edition of Gordon for 1947 gives the following under Allied Victory Medal 1914-18 (page 231)

"This bronze medal was awarded to all who received the 1914 or 1914-15 star, and with certain exceptions, to those who received the British War Medal. It was never awarded alone".

I appreciate early Gordon was full of errors. But I have been racking my brain as to what circumstances sees a star and victory medal issued in isolation to other medals.

Any ideas?

"This bronze medal was awarded to all who received the 1914 or 1914-15 star, and with certain exceptions, to those who received the British War Medal. It was never awarded alone".

I appreciate early Gordon was full of errors. But I have been racking my brain as to what circumstances sees a star and victory medal issued in isolation to other medals.

Jim

I don't think that Gordon is saying that a star and victory medal were issued in isolation to other medals, although not worded particularly well what he says is accurate, it's the bits he left out that would make it much clearer.

Anybody receiving a 1914 or 1914-15 Star would receive the Victory Medal (what he doesn't say is that they would also have received the BWM).

Anybody receiving a BWM would usually receive the Victory Medal as well, an exception being if they served overseas in a 'non-theatre of war', India for example where they would be entitled to BWM only.

Steve

That'd be my interpretation of his wording too ~ an error of ommission,rather than an error