Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Collector and Researchers Guide to the Great W

Ivor Lee

The National Archives (Public Record Office) have a special offer on this two set collection.

These large books have been printed privately by Howard Williamson after some 14 years research. Both are very well illustrated and with high quality printing. The photographs of documents are very well done.

Book 1 "Medals" in 815 pages covers Collecting medals, the Campaign Medals, Researching men inthe RAF, the Royal Navy and the Army, Gallantry Awards, awards to Women, Researching Canadians, South Africans, New Zealanders and the Indian Army

Book 2 "Small Arms, Muniutions, Militaria"is 394 pages long.

The books can be purchased individually. Book 1 is £39 and Book 2 is £29 or on offer until the end of the year both for £50.

I think there are a limited number of these books available. The only other dealer I have seen with them for sale is Spinks.

OK that's the information on the books. How good are they?

This is a first impression as I only bought mine yesterday and have had not had time to read them carefully. (Anyway someone is threatening to take them away from me until Xmas!!)

As a reference tool I think they will be very useful. Having almost everything together in one book is going to save a lot of time. But there are errors in the book. As an example Williamson says the "Mendi" hit a mine whereas it sank after a collision with another ship.

Ivor, I have tried to look for these on the PRO website with no luck - did you get yours from the main office?

PRO books are sold on the website with a 10% discount and free p+p!

Book 1 "Medals" in 815 pages covers Collecting medals, the Campaign Medals, Researching men inthe RAF, the Royal Navy and the Army, Gallantry Awards, awards to Women, Researching Canadians, South Africans, New Zealanders and the Indian Army

Ivor ,

does this book tell you how to research soldiers, medals, or both?

For NZ, there is a recent book

"Honours and awards to the New Zealand Expeditionary Force in the Great War, 1914-1918" by Wayne McDonald. 2001.

to which I have access if anyone wants anything looked up.

Giles

The books are not on their web site.

I believe Spinks will post it at a cost of £5 a book.

Sorry do not know whether the PRO will send the books if you telephone them.

Christine

The book covers researching both the medals awarded and the men.

For medals there are numerous pictures showing the various medals, naming styles and the abbreviations one will find. The Chapter takes up about 150pages of the book.

The Chapter on researching Britishsoldiers is about 160 pages long.

When I saw your question I looked at the index for Fiji - no sign there. Nor does he show Fiji Labour Corps under "Miscellaneous Overseas Units and Corps" - I wonder if it an ommission or somewhere else in the book?

Giles

The Militaria Volumeis 394 pages long.

Chapters are:

Collecting Munitions Pages 1 - 94

Collecting Rifles Pages 95 - 160

Collecting Pistols Pages 161 - 184

The Principal Bayonets Pages 185 - 232

Pickelhauben Pages 233 - 248

Steel Helmets Pages 249 -266

Trench and Fighting Knives Pages 267 - 278

Identity Discs, Tags & Bracelets Pages 279 - 292

Collecting British Uniforms Pages 293 - 310

Crested China Pages 311 - 318

Miscellaneous Memorabilia Pages 319 - 394

As with Volume 1 the pictures and drawings are all of high quality and there is a mass of information on markings etc.

I have a very limited knowledge of the arms side but it certainly looks comprehensive to me.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

I think it is fair to say this will become the 'bible' for collectors for the forseeable future. In addition the way the author has left it, there is alays room for more volumes.

Ian

For anyone interested, I just rang to order from the PRO bookshop - the books can be sent mail-order at the prices Ivor mentioned - p+p was £3 for one volume or £5 the pair.

Bookshop

Public Record Office

Kew, Richmond

Surrey UK. TW9 4DU

Telephone: 020 8392 5324

Fax: 020 8392 5266

bookshop-order@nationalarchives.gov.uk

These books are also available from:

Howard Williamson

5 Hankin Avenue

Harwich

Essex

CO12 5HE

Volume 1 @ £39 (+£5 p&p)

Volume 2 @ £29 (+£5 p&p)

Set of two @ £50 (+ £10 p&p)

Cheques payable to Mrs Anne Williamson.

There's also a "pair" on Speedbid at the moment in the books and printed materials section. I haven't looked to see what the biddings up to, but it's got a "buy it now" price of £50.

Dave.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

I have just read through the first volume or errrr the second volme dealing with militaria, and apart from one or two oversights, which were probably due to the author not be able to secure real life examples, I have to say I am really impressed. For one thing I now know the origin of a bayonet Ihave had in my possession for 20 odd years!!

These books are really worth the money.

Ian B)

Guest Pete Wood
I have just read through the first volume

You are a very naughty boy. You know that's your Xmas pressie.

I hope you've put the wrapping paper back on, straight, or Mrs B will know that you've been looking on top of the wardrobe again.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Pete,

Mrs B is away for a few days ( :D ), so I thought I would sneak a quick look - couldn't put the thing down!

I will have to look surprised on Xmas day!

Cheers - Ian

Bought Vol 1 at the PRO today - how I wish this had been available 3 years ago. Definitely worth the money for anybody using medal records to research a unit, war memorial, whatever.

Jock Bruce

Had a look at this at the PRO the other day, and was impressed with the amount of info in there. I shall be buying a copy, I am sure, but didn't fancy lugging the two great volumes across London on the tube!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I just bought the pair in Ypres at the Shell Hole....strongly recommend anyone interested go to John for purchase.

Had I bought these four months ago I'd have saved myself money and now that I have them they're a worth investment for the future.

Volume I is "Medals" but there's much more in it than that: badges, paper, divisional signs (e.g. all the Player's Cigarrette Card series is included) and answers any conceivable question. On the medals themselves; it gives great information on how to spot a fake...provides photos of genuine and fake side - by - side in order to allow comparison.

Volume II is equally good and previous posts have outlined the contents.

My only complaint is that there are no color photos but that's a small complaint.

If you're going to research WWI soldiers, or collect WWI items you have to buy these books...

Can anyone pass on the ISBN's of these books?

Cheers

Ryan

Thanks Kevin

Ryan

These are both excellent books and a must for any collector.

Howard Williamson was selling them himself,I bought mine from him at the November Britannia fair,where he numbered and signed them.

He told me he only had 1500 printed,mine were numbered 944 so I don't supose there can be that many left out there.

Its probably only a matter of time until we see them on Ebay for more than the 50 quid mine cost me!!

Stu.