Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Needed

John Burnett

I read info on Long Long Trail and see more info can be obtained from Rolls.

I have John Sinclair

Royal Scots 3897

Royal Scots 201001. Why two different numbers?

He got

Victory D/1018(B?)26 page 2677

British War Medal same as above

That is all.

Has anyone access to info which would be on Roll?

Two numbers because he was a Territorial soldier and they were given 6-digit numbers in early 1917.

Unless you are very lucky you will have to consult the Rolls at the National Archives, Kew - or pay a researcher to do it for you.

John,

Do you know which Battalion he was in?

If it was a Territorial(TF) Battalion he was re-numbered in 1917.

Have a look on the main Site you will see an article about the TF and the 1917 re-numbering.You may be able to work out in which Battalion he served.It was not the 8th.

There is also a current Thread and Time Expired Territorials which you may find informative.

George

p.s.Is the Open Air Pool still going in Burntisland?It was freezing when they tried to teach me to swim there many years ago. :lol:

John

According to the LLT mothersite his 201001 'renumber' falls into the range (200001-250000) allocated to the 4th Battalion Royal Scots.

Steve

Thanks for all the information. I can confirm he was in 4th Bn (Queen's Edinburgh Rifles) Royal Scots.

Dycer - I'm not a local only came to Burntisland in 1979. However, did come here my holidays and remember open-air swimming pool. It is now replaced with indoor one. Can remember it being freezing. Willing to search for any piece of anatomy you may have left there!

Thanks for all the information. I can confirm he was in 4th Bn (Queen's Edinburgh Rifles) Royal Scots.

Dycer - I'm not a local only came to Burntisland in 1979. However, did come here my holidays and remember open-air swimming pool. It is now replaced with indoor one. Can remember it being freezing. Willing to search for any piece of anatomy you may have left there!

John,

Have we given you enough information or do you still need the Medal Roll info?

I'm not sure any loose pieces of anatomy will have survived for 50 years :D Still, remembering the temperature,or lack off,they may have done.

George

Hi John

The Number for the medal rolls at the "NA" is WO329/637 this is for the BWM & VM, to the Royal Scots. Cheers

Dycer & themonsstar

Never been to Kew aand know number of records were burnt. So I wondered if I would get some info from medal roll - I have the MIC. Would not want to make the trip if there was nothing there.

Hi

The medal roll will give you any Army No's & units he was with, as for his service records only you or someone looking for them at the "NA" can you answer that.

Hello

researchers charge around £4.50 for a copy of the roll - cheaper than a trip to London

Ian