Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South African in 20 Squadron

Lorraine CJ

I am looking for information on a South African named Jooste who flew Bristol Fighters in 20 Squadron, late 1917 and 1918.

I don't know what became of him, if he survived the war or not, only that he shared a hut with my great uncle, Thomas Colvill Jones.

I would appreciate any help on his military career, or a way of contacting his relatives.

Hello

Is this him

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...;selHonourType=

Ian

Other are at

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveSe...chSubmit=Search but not looked to see if relevent..thought Id leave you something to check!

Dear Ian,

I have checked, and what I've found is this:

he was a temp 2nd Lt. but I only know his initials G D Jooste.

I knew beforehand he was a South African in 20 Squadron, but now I seem to be stuck.

Thank you,

LCj

LCJ

2Lt G Jooste of No 20 Sqn is mentioned three times in RFC Communiqués:

on 2 October, with Capt J Johnston as observer, he attacked four Albatros scouts and sent down one out of control;

on 17 October, with Capt E H Johnstone as observer, he shot down an enemy aircraft in flames; and

on 4 January 1918, with 2Lt S H P Masding as observer, he was credited with shooting down an enemy scout.

I hope that this helps

Gareth

GERALD DANFORD JOOSTE

Born 2 February 1894. Educated at the Diocesan College ('Bishops') in Cape Town; at St. Andrew's College in Grahamstown (1910-1911); and at Minnesota University in the USA (1913-1916) (B.Sc., Hons., 1916). Joined the Royal Flying Corps. Promoted Flight Commander and Temporary Captain with effect from 4 March 1918. (London Gazette.) Returned to South Africa, and became a Director of J. Sedgwick & Son Ltd., wine and spirit merchants, in 1919. Lived for many years at Highlands in Tennant Road and The Oast House in Highwick Drive, both in Kenilworth in Cape Town.

Sources: Who's Who of Southern Africa, 1964. H and HG Iwema, Register of St. Andrew's College, Grahamstown (4th edition 1855-1959); Personal Knowledge.

No picture, I'm afraid.

William

Thank you gentlemen for your help.

It was all very useful.

Dolphin: Capt E H Johnston must be the same as Major E H Johnston, I'm guessing. Right?

Archer: I hope to get a reply soon from Jooste's family, thanks for the address and I will let you know how it goes.

LCj

LCJ

I think that the two E H Johnstons would have to be the same man. While checking the RFC Communiqués, I noticed a couple of irritating features:

the spelling of Johnston(e) with and without the final 'e' varies between the text and the index;

2Lt Jooste's observer on 2 October is shown as 'Cpt J Johnston' - Captain is normally abbreviated to Capt, while Corporal is shown as Cpl - so it looks like a a misprint for one of the ranks, but which one? Unfortunately, it's the only time that the man appears to be mentioned.

Regards

Gareth