Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Transfer to home service Labour Corps

John_Hartley

Pals

My man has a MIC listing service with the Cheshires and the Labour Corps.

My question is, having gone overseas with the Cheshires must his Labour Corps service been at least partly overseas to be on the MIC or could it have been all home service?

I know that he finished up in a home service agricultural company of the Corps but would he have had to serve in an "ordinary" company before coming back to the UK.

The only other potentially interesting thing I have on the guy is that SDGW makes no mention of him being "formerly" a Cheshire, but does record him as formerly a 10th Lincoln (and this doesnt appear on his MIC).

Putting two and two together, I think this guy enlists into the local Cheshire Territorials and is discharged shortly after (quite a lot were as they simply wernt fit enough). Later he re-enlists (conscripted?) into the Lincs and is still found to be not fully fit so is transferrd to the Corps. Likely story? Comments, please

John

Hi John

If i go to the NA this week i will have a look for you in the medal rolls, can you post his MIC, or give me his name,rank,No & any page Nos on the card Cheers Roy

Roy

Appreciated. He's Pte William Greenhalgh - on the MIC it's Cheshire (2524) & Labour Corps (395649). I havnt downloaded his card (with nearly 3000 to research, I just can't afford to do that)

His 10/Lincs number was 43648 (according to SDGW) and his last unit as CWGC was 477 Agricultural Coy.

John

Roy

Appreciated. He's Pte William Greenhalgh - on the MIC it's Cheshire (2524) & Labour Corps (395649). I havnt downloaded his card (with nearly 3000 to research, I just can't afford to do that)

His 10/Lincs number was 43648 (according to SDGW) and his last unit as CWGC was 477 Agricultural Coy.

John

john,dont be stingy,it will only cost you about £11,000 to download all the cards :lol::lol: seriously though,i know the feeling,i have the nominal rolls of all the ashton territorials,which amounts to nearly a brigade of men,over half of these include their home address,plus a hell of a lot of personal info on a lot of them,i have managed to add a service number to half of them up till now,but a download of their cards would be invaluable,that would cost about 14 grand :( i think the only thing that you can do is add to your site,a link to the MICs for anyone who is searching for them,the info that you have already provided is enough to make things easy for a searcher,£11.000 is a lot of money,bernard