Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GW Art - looking for good books

Kathie

I was recently in London and went to the IWM exhibition on the Somme - some really interesting sketches and pictures - in a couple of rooms and me the only one having a look.

Howwever, I was not at all impressed by the IWM bookshop and the quality of service. It seemed to be mainly for school children and noone could give any information about books on or copies of the art held by the IWM. I was really keen to get something on Orpen or Nevinson or the artists whose work was in the exhibition - nothing.

Only book at IWM is by MacAllan ????? which looked really interesting but very Canadian artist oriented and really didnt have enough pictures to warrant the expenditure.

I then went off and hunted - at Tate Britain (couldnt have been more helpful) where I got a small book on Nash and Waterstones and Foyles which only had same book by MacAllan (????- I have totally forgotten the name).

Can anyone make any helpful suggestions - where I can find a book with as many exampls of Orpen and NEvinson and anyone else as possible. I would have bought lots and lots of postcards of the works at the IWM exhibition but there wasnt a one.

Thanks

Kathie

Kathie

Look out for a copy of 'A Bitter Truth' by Richard Cork

Kathie,

There is a book on William Orpen "William Orpen, Politics Sex & Death" By Robert Upstone and others, published in 2005 by Philip Wilson Publishers along with the Imperial War Museum (so it is strange if they didn't have in their bookshop! the exhibition wasn't that long ago...)

If you search for books or publications on period painters like Christopher Nevinson, Paul Nash, Otto Dix or George Grosz -to name but a few- it is very possibly that they deal in extension with their war paintings.

There is an interesting online exhibition on WW1 art, and you'll find some interesting links in this page

Gloria

You can search the Art catalogue of the Imperial War Museum here: http://www.iwmcollections.org.uk/qryArt.asp

I was a recent visitor to the Somme 1916 Exhibition and thought it was well done. Orpen has been one of my favourite war artists for some time. I also like Eric Kennington's 'The Kensingtons at Laventie'

For illustrations of War at I usually refer to my copy of 'Some Corner of a Foreign Field - Poetry of the Great War' Edited by James Bently (1992). This has reproductions of works by Paul and John Nash, William Orpen, Eric Kennington, David Bomberg, C R W Nevinson, George Clausen and many others.

Well worth tracking down - you might find it on ebay or Amazon at a reasonable price.

I was also disapointed by the bookshop operation at the IWM - not as good as I remembered it a few years back.

Sue Malvern, "Modern Art, Britain and the Great War, Witnessing, Testimony and Remembrance", Yale, 2004.

"A Bitter Truth" as Kate mentions above, is Yale, 1994. Excellent, with intelligent, insightful commentary. Would be my first choice.

Meirion and Susie Harries, "The War Artists: British War Art in the Twentieth Century", Michael Joseph, 1983

Article on "The War Art of C R W Nevinson" by Charles Doherty in Imperial War Museum Review number 8, 1993

I have a number of books on Otto Dix but some are in German; any use? Phaidon do a very good video of his work and methods, including extensive interviews with Dix.

Gwyn

Thank you so much for these suggestions. I will now do some searching.

I am so sorry that the IWM had not available postcards of the (very new to me) sketches and pictures oneh exhibition. Some really evocative.

Kathie

Kathie

If you go to the addall website

www.addall.com

and type 'Orpen' or 'Nevinson' into the 'title' box the search will bring up a few titles for you to consider.

Garth

Wig, fine picture.

On second thought, one wonders about the lot of officers on a Parisian café "Pendant la guerre...". There are some junior officers there which are most possibly relaxing for a short time before going back to the trenches, but... where are the rankers? (a rethorical question, I know)

Gloria