Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Swiss Aircraft ID

Marco

Below two aircraft I can not 100% identify. There is always a strut or wheelcap wrong....

Pictures taken at the Swiss Air Force Museum. Do you know what they are?

forum108-04-620.jpg

Int. Ref. 04-620

forum109-07-620.jpg

Int. Ref. 07-620

TIA!

Regards,

Marco

Marco, was it explained in detail on the fancy designer display post on the very left of the picture? Just zoom in :ph34r: and tell us

Marco

The aeroplane in the upper photograph is a Nieuport 28. The Swiss used fourteen of them as trainers in the post-War period, after first encountering the type when 2Lt James F Ashenden of the 147th Aero Squadron USAS crash landed N6212 '2' onto a Swiss farm, after being hit by Flak over Metz on 5 June 1918.

2Lt Ashenden was interned at Camp Andermatt in the Swiss Alps until he was released on 28 November 1918.

Regards

Gareth

I think the lower aircraft must be a Haefeli DH5.

Look carefully on the fin - it says "DH5". The only picture I have of a Haefeli is the much earlier DH3, which resembled early WW1 German types such as the Aviatik BII. But in the text of my reference, it mentions the DH5: a 2-seat observation type that first flew in 1919, and sixty were built for the Swiss Fliegertruppe.

August Haefeli was a Swiss aircraft designer who learned his trade with the German Ago firm, and returned to Switzerland in 1915 and worked for EKW, which manufactured most of the early Swiss aircraft.

Adrian

Marco, was it explained in detail on the fancy designer display post on the very left of the picture? Just zoom in and tell us

Egbert, I didn't want to take all the fun away.... :D Seriously, the originals are colour slides and the signs are not sharp enough/contain too little detail to do anything usefull with the signs. I tried.

Gareth and Adrian, thank you very much, it's appreciated.

Look carefully on the fin - it says "DH5".

Oh dear it does....

Excellent museum b.t.w. near Zurich. Highly recommended.

Regards,

Marco