Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Two Great War Illustrations

gporta

I've been for long in love with the work of illustrator Robert Stewart Sherriffs: a splendid draftsman and a wonderfully stylish one to boot.

I found two splendid WW1-related illustrations in the book "A Portrait of Britain between the Exhibitions 1851-1951" written by Donald Lindsay and E.S. Washington.

One features a fine portrait of an Old Comptentible and the other represents the II German Reich... Someone could illustrate me as to why the author of the caption considered putees an "absurdity"?

Gloria

203680.jpg

203681.jpg

Can you think of anyone else who wraps their lower leg in several feet of fabric before setting out in the morning? I've never heard of their use outside of the military, so presumably there are more suitable alternatives.

Dave,

That was my early perception, too :D ... But seriously, think that the French went to war with leather gaiters, and the Americans reached France with canvas leggings... and they both changed it for the putees. I've seen German Sturmtruppers -whom you's suppose to be inclined to practical wear- to wear putees rather than boots: the putees musn't have been so unpractical if they were so universally used.

Gloria