Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photo ID Needed: "Rang du Fliers"

Guest Mookmaster

Guest Mookmaster

Greetings, and thanks for bearing with me (an amateur in this field). I'm trying to write a caption for a photograph (attached). The only caption info. I have reads "On the Aerodrome at Rang du Fliers, France, July 12, 1918."

I would be most grateful for any additional info.: What specifically were the two men looking for, what nation(s) were they representing, what is the wheel-tripod apparatus, is there any significance to the date or the location? etc. I can't get anything out of Google.

I have learned that the aircraft in the background, the one with the visible tail, is a DH 9, but that's all.

Thanks very much for your expertise.

post-13922-1154114471.jpg

Hello

welcome to the forum

Are you meaning funny captions or serious ones ?

Ian

Guest Mookmaster

<<Are you meaning funny captions or serious ones ?>>

Thanks Ian. Unfortunately, I need serious ones (well, serious information, if not serious attitude).

Best,

Mookmaster

Mookmaster

The photograph is of two RAF officers, both in RFC uniforms and one with the ribbon of the MC, using a telescope mounted on a bicycle wheel for aircraft observation at No 2 Aircraft Depot, Rang du Flers. The DH 9 in the background is D1720, which served with No 98 Sqn from 18 July - it force landed on 30 July when flown by 2Lt W V Thomas and Maj E T Newton-Clare DSO. On the left is SE 5a B8424, which served with No 24 Sqn from 13 July - it crashed on 5 October when being flown by Lt J T Menzies after a connecting rod broke in flight.

The photo appears in Peter Cooksley's The RFC/RNAS Handbook with a Russian caption.

I hope that this helps.

Gareth

That telescope bicycle wheel contraption must be the most HeathRobinson yet.

If the aircraft is any lower to the horizon they would need a stool to stand on

Any higher to the horizon and backache would ensue.

Guest Mookmaster

Hi Neutrino,

Forgive my ignorance, but: What is "HeathRobinson" and what makes the contraption full of that quality?

Thanks much,

Mookmaster

Guest Malcolm_Parker
Hi Neutrino,

Forgive my ignorance, but: What is "HeathRobinson" and what makes the contraption full of that quality?

Thanks much,

Mookmaster

Hi Mookmaster - hope this helps!

William Heath Robinson was a famous British cartoonist and illustrator. Operating in the early part of the 20th century, his cartoons generally included bizarre and improbable inventions often involving several bicycle components, string and teaspoons. His cartoons were so popular that very soon 'Heath-Robinson' became a generic term for any particularly silly or inelegant looking contraption. If you've seen any of the Wallace & Grommet films, you'll have a good idea of what constitutes a Heath-Robinson device.

Best Regards

Malc