Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SS Seagull

Guest Endron

I'm writing a biog. of my great uncle, crewman on SS Seagull torpedoed off Lynas Poinr March 17 1918.

What was ship like , weather? What kind of submarine sunk it?

Endron

Sea Gull was a defensively-armed 976 ton steamer built in 1899 by Mackie & Thomson, Glasgow. She was owned by Leach & Co. Ltd of London. Sea Gull was torpedoed and sunk by U 103 while on a voyage from Le Havre to Liverpool with general cargo. 20 lost including the ship's master.

Best wishes,

Michael

Sea Gull was a defensively-armed 976 ton steamer built in 1899 by Mackie & Thomson, Glasgow. She was owned by Leach & Co. Ltd of London. Sea Gull was torpedoed and sunk by U 103 while on a voyage from Le Havre to Liverpool with general cargo. 20 lost including the ship's master.

Best wishes,

Michael

Thanks Michael, that fills in the picture quite well. I'm trying to get a weather report for the area around that time if poss. Do you know anything about the fate of U103?

Endron

Hello

Two of the casualties were DAMS gunners. An RNVR Ordinary Seaman and an Acting Leading Seaman, Newfoundland RNR.

All best

don

Endron,

Well, given that I'm researching for a book on U-boat losses, I do know something about the loss of U 103: she was rammed and sunk by the liner Olympic on May 12, 1918 at 49°16'N, 04°51'W. See also

http://www.uboat.net/wwi/boats/index.html?boat=103 for a bit more information on U 103. I do have U 103's war diary which would describe the sinking of Sea Gull. I can get you a scan if you're interested.

Best wishes,

Michhael

Endron,

Well, given that I'm researching for a book on U-boat losses, I do know something about the loss of U 103: she was rammed and sunk by the liner Olympic on May 12, 1918 at 49°16'N, 04°51'W. See also

http://www.uboat.net/wwi/boats/index.html?boat=103 for a bit more information on U 103. I do have U 103's war diary which would describe the sinking of Sea Gull. I can get you a scan if you're interested.

Best wishes,

Michhael

Thanks again Michael, yes I would be interested in seeing the diary scan. I've checked for further info on ship with Glasgow Dockyards but nothin showing at the moment.The Met office might put me onto the sea and weather conditions side. All I need then is a photo.

Thanks

Endron

Hello

Two of the casualties were DAMS gunners. An RNVR Ordinary Seaman and an Acting Leading Seaman, Newfoundland RNR.

All best

don

Thanks Don ,thats interesting, I had no idea what the crew might have comprised of.

Endron

Thanks again Michael, yes I would be interested in seeing the diary scan. I've checked for further info on ship with Glasgow Dockyards but nothin showing at the moment.The Met office might put me onto the sea and weather conditions side. All I need then is a photo.

Thanks

Endron

Michael

Thanks for diary extracts. Not having German I managed with a dictionary to make out 'Attack 'and 'sunk immediatly' Perhaps I was looking for the obvious

Endron

• 2 weeks later...

Endron,

A rough translation:

Bottom first page:

Time cut off, probably 12:35am:

(Left column) Quadrant 4025 delta right, (Winds) East 2 (knots), see state 1, very dark, locally drizzly

(Right column) Upon 60° in 330° steamer with westerly course in sight. Prepared to attack.

Second page:

(time cut off)

(Right column) On the circa 2500 heavily laden steamer fired a stern (as in from the stern torpedo tubes) of type G6 AV++ at a range of 350 meters. Hit rear (can't make out) room. From the cloud after the detonation, it is presumed the ship was carrying coal. She sinks immediately.

Note all times German. This was a surface attack -- submarine was NOT submerged.

Best wishes,

Michael

• 13 years later...

There is a memorial to the RNVR seaman - Albert McCabe - in Sacred Heart Church, Leicester. I've been researching the names on the memorial so thanks for the info provided.