Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ww1 airman

mmm45

Hi

Can anyone give me details of 2nd Lt J Caldwell RAF was KIA with 2 Squadron.

Thanks

Ady

Ady

According to Airmen Died, the only Lt J Caldwell who died in RAF service was Lt James Caldwell, from Brighouse, Yorkshire, who died aged 20 on 29 August 1918 while serving in No 57 Sqn. Lt Caldwell was flying DH 4 F5825, with Sgt Mech Alfred Thomason Wareing (100507) of Oldham, Lancashire, who was also killed. The aeroplane was last seen at 0745 being chased by two enemy aircraft at 8000 feet near Douai.

No 57 Sqn was based at Le Quesnoy aerodrome and suffered four aircraft losses in the morning of 29 August. The victory over F5825 was credited to Vzfw Georg Staudacher of Jasta 1; it was the fifth of his eventual six victories.

Neither crew member from F5825 has a known grave, and both are commemorated on the Arras Memorial.

F5825 was originally DH 4 A7838, and was re-numbered after being repaired and rebuilt after a crash while with No 25 Sqn RFC on 24 March 1918.

There was also a Lt J Caldwell who died while serving with the RFC. He was Lt John Hay Caldwell (formerly Lovat's Scouts Yeomanry and Cameron Highlanders) from Morar, Inverness, who died aged 23 on 24 January 1918 while serving with No 63 Sqn in Mesopotamia. Lt Caldwell force landed SPAD S.VII A8811 in the desert on 12 January, and subsequently died from the effects of exposure. He is buried in Baghdad.

I hope that this helps you.

Gareth

Gareth

Thanks thats my man from Brighouse 2 Squadron mustve been a bum steer.

Ady :)