Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Imperial Naval Air Service

Borys

Ahoj!

1 - what (float)planes did they use in mid 1915?

2 - were these planes capable of lifting 350kg?

Borys

Borys

The most common German Naval floatplane in 1915 was the Friedrichshafen FF33, in the 33A, 33B and 33E variants. A photograph of a 33E is below.

The FF33s were normally unarmed, or armed with a single machine gun for use by the observer. On occasion, some light bombs were carried, but I'm pretty sure that 350kg would be too great a load.

I hope that this helps.

Gareth

post-45-1154066648.jpg

Ahoj!

Very helpful, Gareth. Thank you.

No torpedoes for them boohoo :(

Borys

Hi,

As far as I know ( I only have large parts of their history in Flanders) the only unit that used torpedoes was the Torpedostaffel I, but that was in 1916...

At that time they were at Angernsee...

Anything specific that makes you think about the use of torpedoplanes in mid 1915 ?

Best from Johan

Anything specific that makes you think about the use of torpedoplanes in mid 1915 ?

Ahoj!

I am writing an Alternative History story, set in the light-hearted Letterstime universe.

http://www.thequickbluefox.com/letterstime_main.html

Jim, the man running the series, wellcomes side-stories from other authors.

What I am trying to write is Operation Albion August 1915. Limited to Naval forces only. That's the reason for pestering all possible sites with questions about Marinekorps Flandern, to see how many troops I could "borrow" for 3 weeks. Considering that 2nd Ypers has just finished, and the German Navy set up a High Command which aproved off unit assignements only quite late in the war, I see the Old Lion hiring out 6-9 battalions for 3 weeks in return for permanent assignement of the 7th Torpedoboot Flotilla :)

As I would have the forward thinking Grossadmiral Prinz Heinrich in command, both available seaplane tenders would be invloved. And the Russian Orlitsa too. As this Alternative Universe is rather lighthearted, to add to the fun I was thinking of "Coral Sea" 1915 - with the German fleet launching "waves" of 3 seaplanes each, the Russians retaliating with "fighter sweeps". Bombing runs involving the tossing of 2 10kg bombs over the side, AA fire consisting of groups of sailors firing rifles over the officer's sword, etc.

So that is why I was asking about possibility of air-dropped torpedos at this point in history.

Borys

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Borys, Please remember that Operation Albion (the German seizure of Oesel Island and other small islands nearby took place in October 1917, not August 1915. How does this affect your story??? Kind regards, agblume

Ahoj!

I am writing an Alternative History story, set in the light-hearted Letterstime universe.

http://www.thequickbluefox.com/letterstime_main.html

Jim, the man running the series, wellcomes side-stories from other authors.

What I am trying to write is Operation Albion August 1915. Limited to Naval forces only. That's the reason for pestering all possible sites with questions about Marinekorps Flandern, to see how many troops I could "borrow" for 3 weeks. Considering that 2nd Ypers has just finished, and the German Navy set up a High Command which aproved off unit assignements only quite late in the war, I see the Old Lion hiring out 6-9 battalions for 3 weeks in return for permanent assignement of the 7th Torpedoboot Flotilla :)

As I would have the forward thinking Grossadmiral Prinz Heinrich in command, both available seaplane tenders would be invloved. And the Russian Orlitsa too. As this Alternative Universe is rather lighthearted, to add to the fun I was thinking of "Coral Sea" 1915 - with the German fleet launching "waves" of 3 seaplanes each, the Russians retaliating with "fighter sweeps". Bombing runs involving the tossing of 2 10kg bombs over the side, AA fire consisting of groups of sailors firing rifles over the officer's sword, etc.

So that is why I was asking about possibility of air-dropped torpedos at this point in history.

Borys